Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Year Abroad?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Im spending a year abroad as part of my uni course starting in September,I wonder if anyone else is doing or has done the same, it'd be interesting to know where you have been or are planning to go :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I know people that have, and they've absolutely loved it and it's changed their personalities. I think it's a hugely positive thing; as long as you go into it with an open mind. Some people really don't gel well with it because it doesn't meet their expectations.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Becky, we have a true story written by a lad who spent a year in Spain as part of his uni course, you may find it helpful/interesting to read:

http://www.thesite.org/community/reallife/truestories/myyearstudyingabroad

:)

I spent half a year abroad in USA back in the day...definitely the best thing about uni for me, but other friends didn't enjoy it as much, I think Shyboy hits the nail on the head when he talks about expectations.
  • Options
    Thankyou for the link it is really useful :) i'm mainly worried about homesickness, but I do agree with Shyboy, i was so worried about it, but now i've planned lots of things to do and am more open about meeting new people and living in a new culture..really looking forward to it :D
    I bet America was lovely, where abouts did you go? :)
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I only just saw this now, I hope it isn't too late!

I did my Year Abroad in Germany and absolutely loved it!

I think it depends on the person really; you have to be open minded and I'd say fairly independent because of course, you're in a totally new place and the only way to make the most of it is getting out and enjoying yourself, getting to know other people and going to new places.

Where are you going?