Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Morning hayfever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So for whatever reason, even with my windows closed, the current spike in pollen is giving me problems and especially so first thing in the morning. This morning I woke up at 5:45am in a sneezing fit and couldn't get back to sleep :(

Any practical solutions? I'm not hoping to cure my hayfever of course, I take 1 x Loratadine daily in the morning whilst I'm doing my morning routine and that's it and seems to help. But any tips for this irritating 'GOOD MORNING RICHARD. I AM YOUR MILD POLLEN ALLERGY. PLZ WAKE UP :D'?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you ever tried Promethazine? That can be very effective though might make you drowsy. You can get it over the counter.
    Well I can't normally take the drowsy variants as when I had them years ago they were as good as sleeping tablets for me and would knock me out within a few hours of taking them. :(
    Have you considered taking the loratadine last thing at night? That way would still be active when you're currently having problems
    Have you considered taking the loratadine last thing at night? That way would still be active when you're currently having problems

Same with Promethazine

I will have to give this a try - one friend on my facebook recommended taking one every 12 hours even though the recommended dose is 1 a day. Not sure what to think of that as I usually stick to dosage instructions pretty religiously.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I will have to give this a try - one friend on my facebook recommended taking one every 12 hours even though the recommended dose is 1 a day. Not sure what to think of that as I usually stick to dosage instructions pretty religiously.

I take them two a day. no problem.
    Have you considered talking to a doctor, o r pharmacist? If you don't know what you're doing then I'd avoid ignoring the dose on the packet.

Back to my first point, the effectiveness wears off through the 24 hours, so taking them shortly after your symptoms are bad is next to useless.
    My brother used to have really bad hayfever. At the time we got what looked like a small air conditioner for his room and that helped. After googling it's called and air purifier.
    My hayfever season is pretty much over now... so until next year it looks like I'm safe :). I also gave my room a good dusting and hoover that seemed to help a lot. Even if it doesn't look like it.. those allergens / pollen can rest around!