Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wish my family would accept me for who I am

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why does my family act like there is nothing wrong with me. For years I have suffered with depression/anxiety and sh, yet to them they cant see it. Even when I was away, everything I did was because I was copying and felt presurred into doing it. I just want them to accept me to help me move on in life and get better mentally. Is that really too much to ask from them?

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Lauu wrote: »
    I just want them to accept me to help me move on in life and get better mentally. Is that really too much to ask from them?

Hi Lauu,
    First off, glad you've found your way to the boards, has been good to see you in live chat lately.

Unfortunately it's not possible for us to answer the question above as we don't know what your family members are like or whether or not they have the capacity or understanding to get to the place that you'd like them to be.

However, that's not to say you're wrong to have these feelings or expectations - support and understanding from loved ones can't be underestimated.

You say your family act like there's nothing wrong with you - do you think this might be because they are afraid to confront your depression and anxiety and maybe feel that if they ignore it then they don't have to admit it exists? Or is there any possiblity, no matter how small, that they genuinely haven't registered that something is wrong?

Also, can you tell us a bit more about copying and feeling pressured to do things - where did you go and what kinds of things did you feel were expected from you?

In terms of moving on with your life, family are often just one part of the equation, so I was wondering if you have potential support from other places - such as friends or other support networks - that's definitely something we can help you to consider if you tell us a bit more...