Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Spectacular acts of friendship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was going to make a thread about people who take you for granted, then I realised that wasn't very fair.

So instead here's a thread about the most amazing and beautiful people we've had in our lives - a tribute to them.

A girl I dated when I was younger, who then horribly cheated on me and made me feel like she didn't care at all. What a shitty bitch, right?

On my 19th birthday every single friend forgot. She found out everyone forgot. What did she do? She went to the shop, walked the hour to my house and brought me a birthday cake and candles and said despite everything, I should have a good birthday. That simple and insignificant gesture will probably remain in my memory for the rest of my life as the single most selfless act anyone has done for me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nice thread:)

A guy who I dated last year, broke up with, told him I still liked him, got back together then dumped him again (I know I know). Was one of the only people to notice when I started feeling down, and has just been generally lovely to me since, when all I've done over the past year is be a complete bitch to him.

Nina x
    I was 14, done something really stupid and lost all me mates at school, was standing on my own staring into space thinking rather nasty thoughts when a kid I didn't know that well came up to me (I sat next to him in french) and said "Stop standing over here on your own doing nothing, come over here"
    That was 13 years ago, since then I've been best man at his wedding (he agreed to be best man at mine before it went tits up) and I am godfather to his kids, helped him with his house deposit - its funny how a little conversation all those years ago turns into a lifelong friendship!
    Three instances spring to mind.

One friend I made in university, one time we were filming a project, I was walking down some steps and missed the last one. I lost my balance, fell and I must have bounced when I hit the floor. He ran over asking if I was OK and helped me up instead of making fun of me.

A year later the same friend stuck up for me when we walked around some shops, the manager asked me to leave and he went back in defending me.

Another friend visited from Brighton just to see me, we had a great day.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    akuma wrote: »

Another friend visited from Brighton just to see me, we had a great day.

Always cool when that happens. :)

The best thing a friend did for me was look out for me when I'd split up with a long-term boyfriend who I'd lived with and so needed a new place to stay. She had such a profound impact on my life during that time, that I wrote a poem about her. Here it is:
    My captain

Let my heart be broken a thousand times if it depends on meeting her
    In a coffee shop
    When life?s treasures were seemingly trickling out to sea

A captain, a stranger who had no pities;
    just openness
    A wide vision and wisdom well beyond her twenty four years

We boarded a matchbox-sized vessel with mould and mice
    where the hatch was open
    To floods of friends we shared.

No TV, internet connection or real links
    To a commercial world
    Just a mass of duvets and cushions of support

When she knows not something herself
    she learns from able friends
    to reassure and help steer clear of the fog

As tides of change set in
    I will leave this ship bound for new shores
    knowing the fortunes bestowed will stand me in good stead.
    That's a really beautiful poem helen, thankyou for sharing :)
    One of my best mates without fail remembers every birthday and christmas and sends me a pressie. Even if she's skint, she'd make me a mix tape/cd and get me a chocolate bar. She's always there when I need her, shes just totally ace!
    love that poem helen, i wish one of my friends would write me one!

my one is boyfriend related but still special

when i had only just started seeing my boyfriend he knew that i was upset because i was being made to work a 12 hour shift on my birthday in a care job i hated, despite booking it off months ago.

finally finishing a difficult day, i got to the train station fairly late at night to get the train home and just felt awful. he was waiting on the platform for me with a birthday card and bright pink sparkly box to give me my birthday present. that was memorable.
    My running partner once sent me a text. In his text, he suggested that we meet up and go for coffee. I thought that was lovely. :)

Recently, I've had depression and mentioned this to some friends. They were brilliant. I had a few send me messages asking how I am and saying that if I need someone to talk to, I can talk to them :)
    Friends are not always entirely helpful...

Yesterday I had to take my dog Tom back to the rescue centre due to a change in circumstances. My friends decided I needed company, so this morning turned up with a kitten. He's called Brian.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Friends are not always entirely helpful...

Yesterday I had to take my dog Tom back to the rescue centre due to a change in circumstances. My friends decided I needed company, so this morning turned up with a kitten. He's called Brian.

ah is this too soon? i want to say congrats. brian is a great name for a kitten
    Last night three of my friends took me home from a party where I was wasted in a taxi. They cleared up all the puke and put me to bed.
    For me, it's not an act, it's a feeling.

My best and oldest friend is like that. It doesn't matter how long it's been since we spoke, she never gives me hassle about forgetting to ring her or thinks it's been too long and lets me wander out of her life. She is always just genuinely pleased to hear from me. When we were younger (before the wonders of Facebook), we lost touch for years, and one day she found my number, rang out of the blue and it was like no time had passed at all.

That is true friendship, for me. It doesn't demand reciprocation. It has no conditions or time limits. It's just about two people who improve each other's lives.
    ah is this too soon? i want to say congrats. brian is a great name for a kitten

It is the sweetest loveliest thing. but I'm not sure I can keep him. Just lost two pets and a girlfriend, a kitten isn't totally the way forward for me maybe...
    Kaff wrote: »
    That is true friendship, for me. It doesn't demand reciprocation. It has no conditions or time limits. It's just about two people who improve each other's lives.

This!
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    It is the sweetest loveliest thing. but I'm not sure I can keep him. Just lost two pets and a girlfriend, a kitten isn't totally the way forward for me maybe...

ah anything I say would be biased but do what you think is best :)

I just had an idea for another thread..
    Kaff wrote: »

That really does sound lovely :)