Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nasty infected piercing question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had a piercing for perhaps four or five years. It healed fine and I have had no issues. Out of the blue, about a month ago, it became quite swollen and was pussing and bleeding all over the place. I started a 10 minute sea salt soak twice a day followed by a dab of tea tree oil and I made sure to have a fresh pillow case every night. After a week and a half it looked normal again. I put the tea tree oil on once a day just to be safe, but that was it. A couple days ago, it started back up again - swollen, bleeding and pussing.

What the freak? I don't remember hitting it or doing anything. To the piercing gurus - what should I be doing? I've started the sea salt soak again. Should I continue on with the regime for a longer period of time even though it looked fine? A month? Should I be doing anything else to it?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe you've just started becoming sensitive to the bar/ metal?
  • Options
    Have you changed the jewellery you have in it since the last infection? I had two cartilidge piercings which both became very infected. They were so swollen my ear tried to grow over the piercing and it was so painful I could hardly touch it. I got a reputable piercer to change the bars for me (I should have gone somewhere reputable in the first place!) and did the salt/water soak as you have been doing and then once they calmed down and started healing, I changed the jewellery again...I've not had any trouble since :)
  • Options
    It is titanium, so the metal should be good. Though, I've actually never changed the jewelry ever - hadn't even thought of that. It probably has nasty lurking all over it. Once it cools down a bit I'll get that out. Great idea, thank you!

Now... how do you figure out what gauge it is so I can get another piece. I've forgotten :p
  • Options
    For the swelling...you could put some ice on it of some sort...I found that helped massively. Also, I'm not so sure on the tea tree oil?? I was always told just to stick to basic salt and water or a very small bit of carex diluted in water...I would also suggest getting a piercer to change the jewellery rather than doing it yourself...especially if it hurts as much as mine did...I don't think I would have got another bar in it if I tried doing it myself...!! :)
  • Options
    nvm. I thought the earring had broke cuz the screw came out with the ball bur that is how it was meant to be i guess. Perhaps the ball is just coated titanium and that is why the screwis on that end.