Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Expert Chat: Movement and fitness - Tues 26th June, 7-8pm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey folks :wave:

On Tuesday 26th June we have two guests - Wilby and Rhodri - in live chat who'll be here to answer your questions from 7-8pm in relation to our new campaign - some of you might have spotted it already on facebook.

It's all about sitting less and moving your body more, the science behind exercise and how you can start to build more activity into your life :thumb:

By 2050, it's predicted that 60% of the UK population will be obese and 25% diabetic. Have you ever thought about how much time you spend a day sitting on your arse? Unless you work in a manual job, it could well be a lot. The average Brit spends at least four hours a day ogling TVs, computers, laptops, and mobiles.

We all know that movement and exercise is good for us, but sometimes it's difficult to find the motivation to do it and fit it into our daily routine. Reducing sitting time and notching up extra minutes of activity brings benefits; and it can start with just 22 minutes of moderate activity per day.

So who are the experts...
7183058055_ebfd0dc85a_q.jpg

Dr Wilby Williamson is a registrar in Sports and Exercise Medicine. He has worked in a variety of academic and clinical environments ranging from inner city London hospitals to community physical activity projects in South African townships. He has a degree in Sports and Exercise Medicine from Nottingham Uni and has worked in critical and emergency care. In 2010 Wilby started postgraduate clinical training in Sports and Exercise Medicine in Cambridge and the East of England. He has worked as the team doctor for the Cambridge Varsity Rugby and Rowing teams.

He's currently a visiting researcher with the Physical Activity group of the Medical Research Council?s Diabetes and Obesity Epidemiology Unit. Wilby is due to take up post as a Sports Physician volunteering for the London 2012 Olympics. His first passion in life was athletics, in which he was able to represent Northern Ireland.
Dr Rhodri Martin works in Sports and Exercise Medicine in Wales - working with the Welsh government to promote physical activity, driving improvements in medical education and exercise prescription. A role that?s lead him to be part of the national steering committee for exercise referral.

Rhodri is also active in providing medical care across elite sport from the individual to the team: working with the Scarlet?s RFC and as lead physician to Welsh Women?s football. He is excited to be able put his wealth of experience to use volunteering with the medical team at London 2012.

What can I ask?

As you can see Wilby and Rhodri have a wealth of experience between them so feel free to pick their brains! Maybe you're struggling to fit some movement into your life and you don't know where to start. Maybe you're already keeping fit and you're looking for some tips. You might be wondering if 22 minutes a day is really going to make a difference? And what exactly is 'moderate activity' anyway? These guys are full of ideas and inspiration as well as being really clued up on the science behind it all.

N.B The chat will be moderated so that your questions can be held in a queue and answered one at a time. We'll be on hand to help out too.

Hope to see you there!

Comments

• Options
    How can a fat arse like me prepare for a marathon? :D
  • Options
    Can I send you some questions to ask for me? I've only got mobile Internet for the next. 2 weeks
  • Options
    How can a fat arse like me prepare for a marathon? :D

This! Yes I would like the answer to this.

Also, is it possible to run a 10k with little time for training? Ha
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Can I send you some questions to ask for me? I've only got mobile Internet for the next. 2 weeks

Of course you can :)

And hmmm7 and Arctic you can definitely ask those questions!
  • Options
    hmm7, getting out running 2-3 tines a week will.set you up for a 10k. Ran 11k a couple of times now, slowly but I did it.

If I don't make it to the chat can you ask for me?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This is toniiiiiiiiiight :thumb:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    We're open :thumb:
  • Options
    Question...

• Options
    Thank you

Though I reached late for the chat but, it was great chat and did get an awesome advice.
    Thanks to the boards and all moderators.
    Stay fit, Stay healthy.
    :thumb: