Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best friend suicidal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My best friend went out for a drink last night and she just text me saying she doesn't want to live anymore and she's bought loads of pills. She's done this several times before and had to have her stomach pumped, I really don't know what to do right now, do I call the crisis team or just try and calm her down myself? She's not been taking her meds properly and she's in the middle of a manic episode :/ Help!!!!

Comments

• Options
    I'd call the crisis team. It sounds like you've tried calming her down before an it's not worked.
  • Options
    I'd call the crisis team or take her to A&E.
  • Options
    She came back to the house and had taken an overdose. I've got her to hospital I just hope she can get some help rather than them just fobbing her off again.
  • Options
    Physically shes ok, mentally shes pretty fragile but I hope she'll be alright til next week - she's got an appointment with a psychiatrist and fingers crossed she'll manage to get some help from that. They decided they didn't want to get the crisis team involved because they didn't think she was in immediate danger of doing it again...it would have made me feel a bit better if they had got involved though, but hey ho thats the nature of mental health services within the NHS
  • Options
    Hang in There

Hey there,

I have a friend who was once suicidal, and has what I believe also afflicts your friend, and I can imagine that what you're going through now is something similar to what I went through a couple of years ago.

The best piece of advice I can give is to stick with her, no matter how hopeless it might sometimes seem. The best thing you can do for her is let her know how much you mean to her and that you will support her unconditionally. It might not solve all of her problems, but it is something that's very important.

I would also advise you to take action if she happens to try it again. The most important thing is for someone to get over there. Your friend might be mad at you for a time, but it shouldn't last.

And lastly, don't think it's a lost cause. I knew people who said that my friend was so far gone that she would try it until she succeeded. But she hasn't had an episode in about two years now, and is eager to enter university this autumn. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's in all likelihood closer than it seems.

Best of luck to both of you!

ShuffleIt