Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I finally know.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...what I want to do for a job.

I'm currently planning on becoming involved in Landscape and Portrait Photography.

But I'll be mostly doing portraits because there's always women who want to be photographed lol.

I decided to pursue this career while on Holiday in Scotland last year.

So if you know of any models who live near Keighley (UK), please send me a PM.

:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you thought about taking any type of photography classes that give you a model or something to work with? It would help give your resume a bit of professionalism, not to mention it might seem a bit shady and Forensic File-y to hit up random chicks for pictures. I've seen that episode, it didn't end well for the women.
    I'm not using a CV to get a job. You don't use one in photography!

About courses.

I'm going on a Landscape course and I've found a 'model' (from work) to work with.

Edit: It'll be more than a few months until I can leave my current sh!t full time job.

Uhhh, yeah, you do use one. Particularly if you want to pick up corporate work.
    Indeed. A CV and a portfolio.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Mr.Ferrari,

Good on you for finding something that you really enjoy, you are excited about and want to make a career from. Photography sounds great!

Before making the decision to leave your job to take up photography full-time it's worth doing lots of research and making sure you get a portfolio together first.

To make sure it's definitely the career for you, and to build up your portfolio it's a good idea to get some experience, as my name suggested. The Landscape course sounds like a great place to start, and there might be other college courses to look into that you could do in the evening? Have you also thought about getting some voluntary experience (a lot of the photos taken on TheSite are by volunteer photographers :thumb:) or shadowing a professional photographer/getting work as a photographer's assistant to start you off?

This fact sheet on the National Careers Service website is a great place to start to find out the basics about this career, training opportunities and other schemes such as a mentoring opportunity for new photographers. Although it doesn't specifically mention building your CV it's always worth making sure yours is up to date if you are looking for new jobs. As a photographer your portfolio will be the most important thing as it is used to demonstrate your ability.

Also The Guardian did a web chat on how to become a professional photographer a while ago which might be worth checking out: http://careers.guardian.co.uk/careers-blog/professional-photographer

Good luck with it, and keep us updated :thumb:
    LauraO

About courses.

I'm going on a Landscape course and I've found a 'model' (from work) to work with.

Edit: It'll be more than a few months until I can leave my current sh!t full time job.

You will need a portfolio. In terms of courses, you're best looking at BTECS or other technical qualifications, I have BTEC 1 and 2 in photography. Do that before you start looking at the courses aimed at specifics, ie landscapes e.t.c.
    The BTECS should give you a good knowledge of photo editing as well as tuition in thinks like portraiture and landscapes. You'll also learn how to use things like studio flash e.t.c.

Finally, you need to update your flickr page, stick some photos of portraits on.
    I agree with updating the flickr. Is that your only website? You'll probably need your own domain with your portfolio on it when you start working seriously.

Try to concentrate on the finer detail of your photos. Some of your shots are ok but IMO there's nearly always some distracting element in them. The barbed wire fence on the cow shot, the way the tap on your droplet shots is dirty, the slight focussing issues and harsh reflections on the water droplets. These sort of fine details are important when you're trying to sell product.
    And don't use HDR in your portfolio. If you want good, vibrant landscapes then use a polarising filter or neutral density filter on your lens.
    There's some work to be done on framing and composition definitely...
    I know you're trying to help and I'm sorry if this seems a wee bit harsh.....

I know what I'm doing. I'm not using my CV for anything. I'm not doing any corporate work as I'm not planning on working for anyone.

I won't be putting the HDR photos on because they're not all that good. I NEED proper software to do that.

I already own a polarizing filter and I use it on most of my landscape photos or something with a 'shiny' surface such as a car or water.

I won't be going on a 'college' course because they are all shit around my area. I'm going on private tuition then I can get a better understanding on composition and I want to know how to use ND grads/filters properly.
    I sent an email to a guy who is running the course and he said that he likes my landscape photos!

I need to design my own website.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my 1 year old wide angle Sigma lens (10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM). Because it hasn't focused properly since I bought it. Been sent to Sigma, got it back and its still shit. Its now at a shop getting an assessment. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Canon L series lens for Portrait and Landscape work.

I don't need any tuition on how to edit photos!!!

I'm not going on a course on weekday evenings.:no:

I've already asked about shadowing a portrait photographer but I've had no replies.
    I know what I'm doing. I'm not using my CV for anything. I'm not doing any corporate work as I'm not planning on working for anyone.

Corporate work is where the steady money is, and by corporate I mean freelance stuff. Taking pictures at events and functions.
    ....HDR.....
    Photoshop CS5 can be used to do it manually by combining layers and deleting parts of the picture.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my 1 year old wide angle Sigma lens (10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM). Because it hasn't focused properly since I bought it. Been sent to Sigma, got it back and its still shit. Its now at a shop getting an assessment. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Canon L series lens for Portrait and Landscape work.

I use a canon 1.4 50mm prime for portraits, the quality is amazing and quite possibly one of the best lenses i've ever used. Prime lenses of any sort are what you need to invest in for portraiture/weddings/events.
    I don't need any tuition on how to edit photos!!!

You say that, I said that. When i started the BTEC the sheer amount I didn't know was mind-boggling, and I am good with computers.
    I've realized something in the last few days.......I'm not going to leave my current workplace any time soon!

It will take me forever to get good at any photography.
    I still haven't done anything about shooting portraits. Ok, I've wrote an ad out to put on two websites and re-wrote my ad for a photo assistant website. Apart from them I haven't done anything.
    It feels like if I meet a model, and I take my 18-55mm kit lens, it will be shit. But I have to pursuade myself that it probably won't be.

I've found someone at work who will pose for me, but I have to pluck up the courage in arranging a day and time. And a day and time that she can meet cuz she has a wee baby.

I've thought about selling photos as prints on a paper that's A4 and upwards.. Maybe even coasters or mouse mats.

Working for a company would be better, but its just finding a company who take me on that's the problem.
    Try and think of it more positively. From the sounds of it you have a job where you work your 8 or so hours and go home - no taking your work home, weekends are yours etc. You have a stable income and you have the time to do what you need in order to better yourself to follow your dreams.

While you may despise what you do (and how many of us do!) at least you have an idea of what you want to do, a lot of good advice and the time and money to do it. Don't give up! :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    my name wrote: »
    Try and think of it more positively. From the sounds of it you have a job where you work your 8 or so hours and go home - no taking your work home, weekends are yours etc. You have a stable income and you have the time to do what you need in order to better yourself to follow your dreams.

While you may despise what you do (and how many of us do!) at least you have an idea of what you want to do, a lot of good advice and the time and money to do it. Don't give up! :)

:thumb:
    she has a wee baby.

Sounds like a picture there mate, why not ask her to bring the bambino along....!

Seriously though, I do photography part time. I have a full time job, I get business for when I'm off. Start small, get bigger. Start by doing heavy discounts for your first few customers, that way you get experience and they won't feel ripped off if the first few aren't perfect.

As for lenses, for portraits you REALLY need a prime lens. I use a Canon 50mm F1.4. The quality is far superior to anything you'll get from a zoom lens unless you have several thousand pounds to spare and the low aperture means you'll get far better low light shots at weddings and events than you would with a zoom, sparing you the need to use flash (which makes natural style portraits look shit in most circumstances).

I will reiterate this, before you get a new camera, get a prime lens. I stuck one on a 400D and the difference was noticeable.
    Do you have any samples of your work?
    377565_10150456462493894_1131347438_n.jpg

313277_10150456568013894_652048806_n.jpg
    310592_10150456563323894_2098023417_n.jpg
    382114_10150456464973894_552156935_n.jpg
    390072_10150456563978894_873562034_n.jpg
    319635_10150395715088894_1578672252_n.jpg

307141_10150395715488894_1630287198_n.jpg

290515_10150395713933894_2018666648_o.jpg

73919_494271288893_3995164_n.jpg
    Thanks. Not the kind of photos I would take BUT I like them.

I've sent out a casting call....well....posted an ad on Gumtree. Let's see if I can get any takers.:thumb: