Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can I love a girl but still be straight?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I'm a bit confused :/ I used to get on with someone really well, we had so much in common it was unbelivable and spent almost every day together even though we went to different schools. I really liked her from the beginning and we got closer and closer for about a year.

I've always know I was straight, I'm not physcially attracted to girls in the slightest, but this situation was different. Am I maybe confusing love for friendship?

Anyway, she came out as lesbian a few months ago and I think maybe she was expecting me to come out too D; She said not to worry becasue she didn't fancy any of her friends, but I sort of think she used to like me a bit.

She always used to make me feel better and I felt comfertable with her around, we text everyday non stop.

We're not that close anymore even though I didn't think I was treating her any different after she came out. I think maybe I feel like this because I miss our close friendship, but it just seemed like it was always a bit more?

So, do you think I can be in love with someone's personality but not their gender?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you're human, it's possible to fall in love with anyone regardless of gender. Love and lust are different things, just because you don't like someone sexually doesn't mean you can't love them.
    Also, are you sure there's no physical attraction? Are you denying it because you're scared of being gay?

No, I'm not attracted to girls at all and I'm pretty sure of that xD But I suppose whenever I think somone likes me I start thinking I like them too, so maybe this is the same thing :L Thanks for the help (:
    How old are you?
    It is possible to love someone and not be sexually attracted to them, just as it is possible to be sexually attracted to someone without being in love with them.

Being "in love" (as in romantically loved up) and 'loving someone' can also be seen as two differing aspects of intimate relationships.

If you are in your teens, or there-abouts, feeling unsure at times about your sexual preferences can be seen as a natural aspect of the maturational process.

Best advice is not to be rushed into having sex, and wait until you feel more confident about your feelings and sexual identity, which will usually follow with the aging process.

Jed :wave: