Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Venlafaxine side effects

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've only taken one very small dose of the extended release version and I feel really ill - awful headache which doesn't go away with sleep or ibuprofen or anything, huge amount of pressure behind my ear drums, I'm walking into walls, really dizzy, feel like I'm going to puke all the time, I'm really shaky. Will I get past this or should I just stop now and call the dr Monday morning to try something else?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As with any ADs I think it's very important to continue taking them in accordance with your doctor's instructions and not choose to simply come off them / go on them, however if the side effects are difficult to deal with then yes you should make an appointment to see your doctor and discuss your concerns with him/her.

If possible I would try to stick them out for a bit, in case some of the reactions settle down as it may be your body getting used to it.
    It took me ages to get used to Venlafaxine but the emotional effects were so worth it.

Shyboy is right, give it time.

Also, get your GP or CPN to check your blood pressure regularly; venlafaxine effects it and for me that's the cause of the nausea and headaches.
    I'm going on them under duress, I really don't want to and maybe I'm looking for any excuse to not be on them, but if I can't leave the house because of side effects that kind of defeats the object.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I'm going on them under duress, I really don't want to and maybe I'm looking for any excuse to not be on them, but if I can't leave the house because of side effects that kind of defeats the object.

Compared to the benefits, I've found the side effects have become bearable quickly. They will diminish.
    I hope so, I feel like heaving every 5 mins!
    Just don't do what I did and run a half-marathon within a week of starting the course...
    Haha! No worries of that one, I doubt I could run a mile at the moment!
    i'm on a ridiculous dose of venlafaxine and have been for about a year. it's possibly one of the best ADs i've ever been on but the side effects are some of the worst. i agree with piccolo that the benefits outweigh the costs.

i don't generally get too many side effects with drugs but this one gives me an unbelievable thirst that can't be shifted and as well as making my mouth dry it makes my lips dry out really quickly too. when i first took it it was in a capsule with tiny tablets inside and i found them awful to swallow, they tasted vile and made me feel quite sick. now i have them in a tablet form (venlalic) and they are much better. i usually have a biscuit or something at the same time so that there is something else in my tummy, although these ones don't dissolve which can be a bit alarming the first time you notice! i do get dizzy and bump into things more than i used to and i am always, always tired. the drowsiness is probably one of the most obvious side-effects to other people.

the headaches and sickness passed for me, although it did take a few months for my body to get used to them. but as i said it's a big dose so if you aren't taking that much it might well settle down more quickly. i'd stick with it if i was you, and you could always ask to try a different brand if the one you have doesn't agree with you because sometimes it can be the taste/shape/size etc of the pill that sets off the bad feelings. it will get better and if it doesn't there are always other options, but don't give up too soon.
    x
    omg hi wrote: »
    the headaches and sickness passed for me, although it did take a few months for my body to get used to them. but as i said it's a big dose so if you aren't taking that much it might well settle down more quickly. i'd stick with it if i was you, and you could always ask to try a different brand if the one you have doesn't agree with you because sometimes it can be the taste/shape/size etc of the pill that sets off the bad feelings. it will get better and if it doesn't there are always other options, but don't give up too soon.
    x

The brand thing is a good point; I've found that when I get them from a different chemist they affect me differently.

Try to stick with them if you can.
    Eugh I just posted a long ass reply and it got lost in my broken internet.

Quickly...

1. What's an average type dose of this? I was on 100mg Sertraline before and he's put me on 75mg twice daily of this (well, one a day for the first week, then two).
    2. I just started it today and I'm already wanting to throw up everything that passes my lips. This is the reason I didn't have my Sertraline increased (because that nausea lasted for three months when they did it last time). I know it's also partly withdrawal (which I know from missing a couple days at a time before that it can be bad) from my previous meds, but...how long is this going to last?

Also...has anyone been on both (not at the same time, obviously)? What are the differences that I might be noticing?

Eugh I hate new meds :(
    I've been on both and venlafaxine made me feel like you and MR do, but it also really helped for a while. My CPN calls it 'rocket fuel'.

I was switching meds when I started venlafaxine (reducing lofepramine) and it took 2.5-3 weeks before it went away completely. I'd been on it a week before the Half-Marathon, to give you an idea, and it was the side-effects that were getting me that day. Over the following week/2 they fell off quite dramatically, but you've got to be really careful not to miss doses or it makes you ill all over again.

Also, if you're not already scheduled to, get your GP to check your blood pressure regularly as venlafaxine can have an effect (it's what causes the headaches and nausea, apparently) and in rare cases can push it dangerously high.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I've been on both and venlafaxine made me feel like you and MR do, but it also really helped for a while. My CPN calls it 'rocket fuel'.

I was switching meds when I started venlafaxine (reducing lofepramine) and it took 2.5-3 weeks before it went away completely. I'd been on it a week before the Half-Marathon, to give you an idea, and it was the side-effects that were getting me that day. Over the following week/2 they fell off quite dramatically, but you've got to be really careful not to miss doses or it makes you ill all over again.

Also, if you're not already scheduled to, get your GP to check your blood pressure regularly as venlafaxine can have an effect (it's what causes the headaches and nausea, apparently) and in rare cases can push it dangerously high.

Well, he wants me to go back once I've been on it a couple of weeks so I'm going to try and go before the end of the month. You reckon I should wait until I've been on the full dose for two weeks, though? I don't want to go in and go I STILL FEEL LIKE DEATH and them tell me that that's why >.<

It's quite draining. I couldn't really sit/stand for long periods yesterday because it made me so light headed. Today isn't quite as bad but the nausea is fucking with my appetite. And I just want to go back to bed :(
    I was told to wait 2 weeks between increments. If you're feeling light-headed it wouldn't hurt to go back and get them to check your blood pressure.
    currently i'm on 225mg. i think the standard dose is up to 150mg, but it can be presecribed up to 300+mg. my doctor told me that over 200mg is quite unusual. i was on 200mg sertraline though and seem to be pretty immune to it all.

main differences from sertraline = excessive and unquenchable thirst, complete disinterest in anything between the sheets beyond my hot water bottle and constant tiredness. all of these could have another cause though so might not be down to the drugs.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I was told to wait 2 weeks between increments. If you're feeling light-headed it wouldn't hurt to go back and get them to check your blood pressure.

I'll see how I feel next week. Can't take any time off this week because my mum's on holiday.

It's better today. I mean...not great, but I'm relatively functional. Not sure how my body's going to like having to do a three mile walk every morning in addition to the bleurgh, but never mind.
    K, I do not like these pills. Tell me this gets better? Because I'm back to "Fuck you, I want to go back to bed".

And vomiting.

Eugh :(
    It gets better. They've been the best for me, enough to put up with the small remaining side effects.