Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hi

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave: Hello i'm new to this..i just joined as i have a 16yr old daughter who i have discovered self harms..she is seeing a counsellor at her high school..but i feel she might need more support ? Can someone please advise me on this ? thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Hi and Welcome,:wave:
    I am sad to hear of your daughters difficulties right now but the thing not to do is pressure her into speaking. Talk to her, but back away when it gets too much for her. She may not want to talk about it right now. Leave it a while, then ask again.
    The best thing you can do is just make sure that she is getting helpm or that there is some way for her to get better, improve or just keep her safe.
    Perhaps, tell her that you know what is happening, that you are there for her despite her problems whatever they may be and be a little easier on her, try not to get too caught up in normal domestic stuff.
  • Options
    hi it was my daughter that told me that she self harms and how she'd wanted to tell me for a while but was too ashamed ...i was shocked to see the cuts on her arm ( which are not too severe) but recently she has cut her chest as she didn't want to return to high school (after being off for 4weeks for her exams) and that she was panicking about going back.. i don't know whether or not to take her to the drs to try and get her more help but she doesn't want to go ...
  • Options
    CathyH wrote: »
    hi it was my daughter that told me that she self harms and how she'd wanted to tell me for a while but was too ashamed ...i was shocked to see the cuts on her arm ( which are not too severe) but recently she has cut her chest as she didn't want to return to high school (after being off for 4weeks for her exams) and that she was panicking about going back.. i don't know whether or not to take her to the drs to try and get her more help but she doesn't want to go ...

I can give you some nurses advise.

First of all are you in the UK? If so then the NHS have a leaflet on self harming. You should be able to pick this leaflet up from a local surgery/hospital.

Secondly Read through the leaflet to see if any advice helps with the self harming and if it doesn't then you should go and book an appointment with a GP but don't force her.

My advice.

She is probably cutting to make herself feel better. Do NOT force her to talk! If she says she doesn't want to talk then don't try and get any information out of her you could make her angry and worse. Just let her tell you whenever she's ready. Ask her now and again if she would like to talk to you.

I have cuts all up my right arm. I also have a copy of that leaflet which I could try and mail to you if you can't find a copy.