Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Kalms or similar???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any experience of these?

I have been advised to get some for all the job interviews that i i have upcoming as i have been getting ridiculously nervous for the last few and have been blowing oportunities through this.

however when i look on the boxes it seems to me that they are to be taken over a period of time to be effective, not just one when u know things are going to be a bit stressful . I am also planning on using rescue remedy but was wondering if anyone on here has used these or knows anything about how effective they are for short term use? my next interview is friday and i am already working myself up. thank you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're garbage. Admittedly, I'm 6'4 and a big dude so they may be more potent on a smaller person but Kalms had zero effect on me.

The best remedy for interview nerves that I've found are cue cards. You don't have to write much, just a few bullet points for career history, a card dedicated to examples of things you've accomplished in previous roles etc. You don't even have to look at them, just plunking them down on the table and knowing that you have the information available for when you have a brain fart is invaluable.

It's psychological trick rather than relying on a physiological effect.
    There are kalms lozenges for things like that, but I find breathing exercises really helpful, focusing on your feet feeling on the ground so you feel present rather than floaty.

Plus rubbing basil oil on your pulse points can be really helpful for concentration
    hi Pink Sparkle pants
    Rescue remedy is a Bach flower remedy and a natural approach to situations in which people may feel anxious, with all herbs you should be aware that they do have side affects just like medication And may not suit everyone.

It may be useful to look at the following link which will give you some helpful tips on interview techniques:
    http://thesite.org/workandstudy/gettingajob/applications/preparingforajobinterview

Good luck with the interview and it would be nice to find out how you get on :)
    I know someone who has used Kalms and found them helpful - although it could be argued that the benefit came from a placebo effect.

Competent interviewers will expect people to be nervous, and will take it into account. One of the skills of a good interviewer is to be able to put people at ease during the interview.

It can be helpful to keep the purpose of the interview in mind, i.e. the interviewer(s) are trying to determine your suitability for a particular job.

The questions asked should be pertinent to that objective, and there shouldn’t be any trick questions or attempts to catch you out.

There’s nothing wrong with saying; “I’m not generally this nervous, it’s just that getting this job would mean so much to me!” (You will have taken the opportunity to drop in a positive ;))

As for some basic tips - instead of worrying about what you will say, concentrate on listening to the questions put to you. Good replies from you to the questions asked will depend on careful listening and understanding of the questions put to you.

If you don’t understand a question, ask for clarification.

If you feel unsure about the purpose of a question, repeat it in your own words, and add: “so what you are asking me is: x.y.z. etc?” Be polite and use an inquiring tone.

If you are sure you understand the question, but don’t know the answer, then say so.
    Don’t be tempted to blag it and say something that is untrue – a false statement made at an interview can invalidate an employment contract, even at a much later date. The first hurdle is getting the job, but then you need to be able to do what you have said you can do during the interview stage.

Take evidence of any required qualifications with you to the interview, unless otherwise stated.

Make eye contact with the interviewer when listening to questions, and when making replies. If there is more than one interviewer, then make short periods of eye contact with all of them when replying to questions put to you.

Prepare yourself for the interview by doing some research on the organisation or establishment you are applying to – showing the interviewers that you know something about their company will impress them.

Highlight any links that may exist between your past experience and the requirements of the job, whether it be in past employment, voluntary work, or some other form of activity.

If you get asked awkward questions, try and roll with them in a positive way, e.g. if you are asked if you have experience of a certain task, and you haven’t, then say so, but add: “but I would like to learn because I’m interested in that kind of work … would any training be available if I got the job?”

While being open to what you may need to learn, never put yourself down, and don’t provide negative information about yourself when it’s not necessary.

It’s not unusual for interviewers to ask you if you have any questions near the end of the interview, so have something ready to ask. Which might be about opportunities for further training, promotion prospects re the job role, etc, Try and have three relevant question up your sleeve just in case you get invited to put some to the interviewers.

Two other things you could do before the interview: do some role play, i.e. get a friend or a relative to act the part of a prospective employer who interviews you for the job you are thinking of applying for. If you have a third person available, then ask them to sit as a silent observer who gives you feedback at the end of the session. If you are going to do this, do it two or three times and well before the actual interview.

Another thing you can try is to lie on your bed and get yourself into a relaxed state, then close your eyes, and visualise yourself at the interview - run through the interview in your mind as you think it will be on the day. Do this three or four times, but on separate occasions. Each time you do it, correct any mistakes you feel you may have made last time.

It may feel a bit strange doing this, but the more you do it, the less strange it should feel, and such mental rehearsing can desensitise anxiety in readiness for the actual interview.

Good luck! :wave: