Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Race For Life

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You all seem to be forgetting the other side of the sponsorship "contract". My mates, these are my friends we're talking about, and more importantly my friends I'll be talking to. I'm not a dictator laying down demands and targets to make people look good. Clementine, if simply finishing walking 13miles is impressive for you, and we were friends, then that would be what was necessary if I wanted to sponsor you in the first place. Or if you were like my frisbee team-mate, who wanted to do his first half marathon in under 2 hours, then he found the target challenging, and I wasn't the only one. He did it in approx 1hr 45mins, his Godfather had said £2 for every minute under, cost him a lot! It's about what you can do, not what I want from you.

I'm a real person, not a machine, not unreasonable, not the complete cunt I feel like you're making me out to be. If you're close, that's close enough, if you do exceptionally well you'll get a big fat bonus, if you're hurt, you'll get it, if just turning up is an achievement, you'll get it. The fact is, if I didn't control myself I'd give more than I have to give.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    The fact is, if I didn't control myself I'd give more than I have to give.

Absobloodylutely.

Unless you are minted, you can't give to every cause there is, or every race that's run. You have to have a limit, and how you set your limit is up to you. My limit is to only give to my two charities, and no others. Fiend's limit is to only give to people who she thinks have deserved it. I don't get why that's a problem?

If you want to raise money for a cause that's close to you, that's great, and if people are good enough to sponsor you, that's brilliant, but they should never be under any obligation to give you anything, and if they do, I think they are being perfectly reasonable to add conditions.
    There seems to be an awful lot of telling people what their motivations for donation should be.

Personally, I don't want to completely divorce the sponsored act from the donation. And I think it's rather nonsensical to do so. I won't donate to a charity like Invisible Children regardless of the sponsored act, but for all half-decent charities' sponsored events I take into account the nature of the event, the charity and the sponsored person. If you come to me for a sponsorship and after researching the charity I think it's super-fucking-bonza then, if I've the money, I'll sponsor you and I'll set-up a regular donation. If it's an OK charity then I'm gonna lean more on what my friend is doing to dictate the nature of my one-off donation.

Sponsorship of a friend, particularly if I use an incentive for them to try hard, is about motivating them as far as I'm concerned. If it's a difficult event for them then I'll usually give an amount regardless of how well they do as well as an extra incentive for a good performance.

We can all pussy-foot around it, but walking 13 miles because you couldn't be arsed to train is wet. I wouldn't give the top rate of donation I'd promised, particularly if the charity was distinctly average. I might if I thought it were an excellent charity, but you'd get a lot of stick for being a prat. It'd be the same if you told me you were gonna suck a hundred cocks in an hour for charity and only managed your boyfriend's.
    Cpt agreed with everything you said until the last point. I've already called my lack of training 'stupid'. You really didn't have to hammer the point home by calling me 'wet' and the comparison with sponsored blow-jobs really furthered your arguement. Well done you.

Fiend- that's fair enough. Personally, I'm still uncomfortable with setting goals for friends and it's not really something I'd be arsed about chasing up. Each to their own.
    Fortunately, chasing up isn't an issue. They want the money (presumably) so they chase me.
    Cpt agreed with everything you said until the last point. I've already called my lack of training 'stupid'. You really didn't have to hammer the point home by calling me 'wet' and the comparison with sponsored blow-jobs really furthered your arguement. Well done you.

I wasn't trying to upset you, but in the spirit of open, frank and honest discussion I'm also not going to avoid using an example you willing provided or couch my opinion in woolly sentiment. And 'wet' is isn't really 'hammering' anything home. The blowjobs example was silly, I'll admit. I'm just amusing myself most of the time and don't realise at the time how unhelpful half the shit I say is.