Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

jo7 and helen

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i would like to do what the other people are doing so what do to get to do this job

Comments

• Options
    What other people? What kind of job are you looking for?
  • Options
    Hiya Smily,

Thanks for getting in touch and for your PM too, I hope you're having a good day :)

I thought I'd reply here as it might be handy for others who are interested to hear how we approach things. It's really great that you're interested in what we do here at TheSite.org and a lovely compliment to us and the service. It sounds like you’re interested in the role of moderator?

It's quite unusual for people to make the switch from member of TheSite to moderator. This is because it means you're no longer able to use the chat room/boards to make friends or to get advice yourself. TheSite becomes a place where you are expected to be professional and supportive to others at all times.

It's not a process that happens quickly and you may feel that you'd benefit from making the most of TheSite in terms of getting support for yourself before taking the leap into a different kind of role.

If members of TheSite are keen to become mods then before the point of training, they need to have demonstrated to us they're absolutely sure about the switch and can recognise what it means to be a moderator and start to show these traits naturally through their support of others.

For chat this would mean being aware of the needs of others in the room before your own and helping the mod on shift to maintain a friendly and welcoming environment. It's important though that when you're providing support to others, you feel stable and comfortable yourself and have accessed help for any problems you're struggling with.

After some time, when we see members becoming more supportive in chats, we might approach them about their role in the community and start to think about training. You'd need to have been using TheSite.org for at least 6 months if not longer for this to happen.

You may have noticed that lots of users are able to offer amazing support without giving up their place as a member. They're still recognised as being important in the community in providing peer support to others and are actually just as important as the official moderators in the chat room!

I hope this all makes sense, let us know what you think. Ultimately it's great to have you in the chat room and here on the boards and we look forward to getting to know you better as the weeks progress :d
  • Options
    Seeing as this has been brought up, and there's a request for extra chat sessions. I would like to volunteer to host an extra session a week.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Seeing as this has been brought up, and there's a request for extra chat sessions. I would like to volunteer to host an extra session a week.

The problem with that is that it still needs extra resources from the YouthNet end because they need to have someone on call for every chat.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Hey Fiend, thanks for this kind offer of volunteering. We'll be in touch via PM in the next couple of days with some thoughts. :)

Just to let you know though, there are some changes (that scary word change :shocking:) afoot on the chat front in general and our priority at the moment is to improve the experience for everyone within the current schedule before even contemplating expansion.

That's not to say we're not recruiting for volunteers though as there's always space for people to support the current schedule.

In terms of chat expansion and resources (I know Franki helpfully mentioned this in the other thread) it's not just about adding two hours to the week of our service, it's also about factoring in quite a lot of other time that goes into making sure it all runs smoothly - this includes making sure there is always a staff member on call at our end when chat is running, making sure we support our volunteers properly, making sure the people who help fund TheSite are happy with the quality of the service we run etc. Happy to answer further questions on this if people still have them... :)

Cheers.
  • Options
    The problem with that is that it still needs extra resources from the YouthNet end because they need to have someone on call for every chat.

Only saw this after I posted...hehe.
  • Options
    I don't like change...
  • Options
    I don't like change...

Haha. Well, it's not long since you've come back to TheSite after quite A LOT of change. So I'm sure you'll cope. :razz:
  • Options
    Doesn't mean I have to like it... /sullen
  • Options
    what do u mean i wont be able to do it
  • Options
    She means you haven't been here long enough and i personally think you're still at the stage where you need thesite for advice.

I've been here 11 years and I'd still be reluctant to give that bit up (although I'm open to offers ;))