Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Questions questions...

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
I was in the park with a mate last night and he asked me some questions that I thought would be worth sharing here. :)

1. Looking 20 years into the future, what would you say to your self at this age? (e.g. you're twenty now, what would your 40 year-old self say to you now?)

2. If failure wasn't a possibility, what would you achieve?

3. If you were featured in a two page spread in your favourite newspaper, what would you like it to be about?

4. If you had a magic wand and it could transform something in your life, what would it be and why?

Happy to answer these questions if you want me to...

In the meantime, tell us all what you think. :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you're going to have to get the ball rolling, Helen! :D
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    I was in the park with a mate last night and he asked me some questions that I thought would be worth sharing here. :)

1. Looking 20 years into the future, what would you say to your self at this age? (e.g. you're twenty now, what would your 40 year-old self say to you now?)

Man up. You won't get if you don't ask, you won't learn if you don't try. Don't sleep with your mates to make yourself feel good in the short term.

I'd go white water paddling down one of the big african rivers. I'd go for a processing engineer job in a less developed country and improve the lives of the locals through the companies operations.
    3. If you were featured in a two page spread in your favourite newspaper, what would you like it to be about?
    Being amazingly successful engineer and doing something really whizzy, and to not have a comment about being a woman doing it being unusual.
    4. If you had a magic wand and it could transform something in your life, what would it be and why?

I'd make my next role at work be a commissioning engineer in Singapore and I'd tell me today. Because it's the job I really want, and I don't like not knowing what' happening next so that would fix both at once.
    Happy to answer these questions if you want me to...

In the meantime, tell us all what you think. :)

Phew.

If anyone else doesn't want to answer them all I'd still be interested to hear your answers.
  • Options
    They're something I need time to concentrate and think about before answering. But I'd like to, eventually...
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion

At least you tried, why didn't you move to Germany straight after graduation and why do you always let relationships run too long?

Masters - Move to Germany & work for Bombardier/Deutsche Bahn and enjoy it

my baking

Okay, I'm gonna say it (deapite trying hard to think of something better, but hey): to correct my moods so I don't have to take this medication and don't have to worry that what I want to do will be marred by another unbearable low that will completely put me out of service.
  • Options

Take life day-by-day and embrace life. every day is so special.

Nothing. You learn and achieve by faliures. It's a lesson.

My passion for writing and my achievements- making a bad situation into something positive.

My confidence because this holds me back in my current life.
  • Options

Probably to do all the things I've already missed out on which I want to do, silly little things like learn to swim or ride a bike. To get a move on before you hit 40 and get too old :p

I'd complete the marathon I just signed myself up for! :lol: No seriously I'd have a really nice career in something sporty-sciency, involved in like research or something similar.

It would be... about how my football team had made it to the Olympics and I was playing in it, nice big team photo shoot in our Olympic kits :d I can dream...

I'd have my little brother come live with me in a nice house, so I could give him all the things I missed out on at his age and make sure he doesn't end up being like me.
  • Options

Taking yourself so seriously will get you no where. Worry less about what those around you say (even your nearest and dearest) and trust your own judgment more.

Various high-profile make up artistry and styling jobs, be the singer of a half decent band in my spare time, get my PhD in visual self expression within subcultures and wider tollerance, and have a family...some how :?

How I've achieved so much after coming through so much, and what people think of my work and why its so "me". (is that really narcisistic?)

Right now I'd make sure that everything goes ok with this new flat and that the references all go ok and we have the deposit before the end of business tomorrow.
  • Options

Why didn't you learn the piano? Why didn't you ask that girl out, dumbass.

I would learn to draw perfectly and be a non famous artist who could draw imaginings properly

It would be two pages telling people to chill out and relax, and never forget to have fun in life!

I would have 1000 million billion trillion quadrillion pounds, solve the worldwide financial crisis and everyone build a big waterpark on the moon or something.
  • Options

See, it's fine isn't it. Relax.

I'd run an engineering consultancy for eco-technologies and carbon-neutral construction

I don't think I'd like that at all.

My confidence and socialbility. I'd have more fun if I liked people more.
  • Options

You did good. It may have been hard at the time but it was worth it.

I'd have a doctorate and still be working in the same organisation as I do now

Honouring my knighthood for services to the NHS

I wouldn't change a thing. Happiness comes from wanting what you have, not having what you want. If I was being radical though, I'd just want to make sure that my kids were happy in the future.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Wow guys I'm impressed - thanks :heart:

Particularly like this from BB

Nothing. You learn and achieve by faliures. It's a lesson.

Ok, so already aged 30 I look back at my 20 year-old self and think -

"Goodness, you really should have let that relationship go and enjoyed your final year of uni more. I also think - you're lucky, you're making some really special, unusual friends. Also, you're a scruff and always will be, don't worry about it because you'll end up working somewhere it doesn't matter. And finally, if you just look a bit harder on the internet, you'll find TheSite.org and everything will become clearer." :D

(I found it a year later)

If my 50 year-old self were watching me now, she'd probably say:

"Appreciate your youthful looks coz they aint gonna last forever. Also, get more fit, it's putting pressure on my heart. You still have some great friends, never take them for granted. Get more organised, I can't make any sense of this paper work or find any of those old photos. Meditate more."

I'd write more poetry, practice it more and become a spoken word performer. Something I've wanted to do since I was 18 but have never found the guts to see through.

This is the hardest one... I'll have a think and come back to it... (I know, that makes me a cheat).

Something in my life personally - I'd re-decorate my house from top to bottom - at the moment my flat looks like student digs ;)

Something a fair bit bigger - I'd create TheSite Towers offspring in the regions to increase our outreach and create jobs for everyone who has been so committed to making it what it is today. :)
  • Options
    Reading some of these answers today has actually brought tears to my eyes. These answers are really powerful. You can achieve these guys- don't think they're just pipe dreams: "You always miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Go for it- get motivated, get connected, and work hard for it. Grab the opportunities and go for it - the right people will support and follow if needed. If not, they're not right.

I'd have my own studio, outside in a lush, green environment near the sea, spending my days designing beautiful jewellery. I'd work days for the UN as some form of languages project manager/cultural liaison, requiring travel and visits overseas, and I'd do counselling/mentoring on an ad-hoc basis. I'd also possibly be living abroad without the fear of being lonely and missing the people i'm so connected to here.

My vibrancy and positive attitude that brings joy to others and makes them want to be around me.

Just how disconnected and lost I feel sometimes. Because I'm the only person who can affect that, and it's damn hard to change sometimes!
  • Options
    Good questions, really gets you thinking. Taken me ages to answer them.

When given an opportunity to do something, take up the offer and do it! Stop focusing on the stuff that you can't control, go out and enjoy yourself more. You'll get there.

I'd be in a job I really enjoy. Working with wild animals studying their behaviour and stuff like education/conservation.

I'm not sure about this one, but maybe something about the work I'd be doing with animals :d

My confidence. I'd like to be more confident and a bit more positive and better at expressing myself.
    I'd also use the wand to keep the sun for a little longer. Everything seems so much better when the sun is shining.
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    1. Keep reading, keep learning, keep walking. But above all, Keep Calm and Carry On.

2.Not much. For me,half of the stunning feeling of success is the feeling of overcoming your vulnerability. Success wouldn't be as sweet, I really wouldn't like myself, I wouldn't enjoy life as much and I think I'd become more of a bighead.

3 Being a small person in a big world, who did a small thing-but that was brave and big enough for her.

4. A break once in a little while of thinking that I'm not good enough. Or, the ability to come out of myself and look at what I really look and sound like, so that I could judge with many more of the facts being clear.
    Maybe an eradication of my pathetic sentimentality aswell....:blush: