Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Selling stuff quickly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just been landed with 2 huge bills and I'm going to need to sell some stuff off in order to pay them off.

Whats the best way to sell stuff off quickly and easily but also get a fair price for it? I'm taking my guitar to a local music shop and a friend is going to help me with my bike, but I have some dresses which I could sell as well as some books. Ebay? I've not had much luck with it in the past and could do with some tips.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Miss_Riot,

I was going to suggest Ebay. Here's a page on the moneysavingexpert.com's website with selling tricks and tips - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/selling-on-ebay

There's also the Amazon marketplace - http://services.amazon.co.uk/services/sell-on-amazon/how-it-works/

I'm not really sure how quickly sales will take to complete. I think it depends on whether there is demand or not at the time you post things up. Maybe offer free p+p or a 'BuyItNow' price on ebay. Several people have told me that having good ratings on ebay means you will sell quicker.

There's also a page on theSite.org about 'making extra money'.

I hope this helps.

:)
    Unfortunatly out of that lot of things all I can do is sell stuff off. I'm not well enough to work (I collapsed at college last week so I'm wondering if I'm even well enough for that sometimes). I'm getting all the benefits I'm entitled to (as far as I'm aware), and they really don't make ends meet so this seems like the only other posibility :(
    Aww must be really tough to part with your things. :(

It may get you through this rough patch though and maybe in the future you can buy your things back. Or buy new things. Also, no one can ever take away your memories. :)

It must be hard right now *hug* but you will pull through

:)
    Taking some stuff I can live without to cash generators today just to get some cash for a deposit on a new place. I could do with getting rid of some stuff anyway
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Taking some stuff I can live without to cash generators today just to get some cash for a deposit on a new place. I could do with getting rid of some stuff anyway

I love getting rid of stuff - I find it very pleasing to see a nice uncluttered space. I think I'm going to declutter my bras today as I have about 20 of which only one fits properly and a further 2-3 are only one or two sizes out so I still wear them. I read a really good book recently, The Joy of Less, about getting rid of stuff. Stuff ties you down anyway and personally, for a lot of stuff, I value having the space it took up more than the object itself. I wish you luck and hope it isn't a painful experience for you to get rid of things - try to see the positives as it seems you are doing and see it as a way to get your money together for your new place :)
    Car boot sales might be worth looking into?
    What are the bills? Negotiating with creditors often better than selling stuff, though housing costs don't wait
    Overpayment of housing benefit, water bill, deposit for new place,
    I think the council has a deposit scheme.
    And now buying some jointly owned things off my mum. Didn't manage to go yesterday or today, I'm going to try tomorrow and see how far we get.
    I'm selling a lot of things on eBay right now. I'm selling my computer parts and a few other things that I'll put up when they've sold. I don't need to make ends meet right now, but I want to save some money before my birthday.

For selling your clothes, you can use Play.com's PlayTrade. Usually quite popular. Amazon is a good choice too. If you have any handmade items you want to sell, Etsy is decent. I use that quite a lot.
    Water board can go fuck themselves, they can't cut you off. Pound a month and lump it.

Housing benefit overpayment can be negotiated to a fiver a week.
    I just lost the perfect flat yesterday because I didn't have £250 holding deposit. :(

A friend has said that he'll help me sell things through eBay but I don't know if that's the best way forward.
    Found another awesome flat, but I need the deposit by tomorrow and I tried to sell my guitar today and they would only give me £85. So I've stuck it back up in gumtree, and I'm taking my phone into CEX tomorrow where I'm likely to get more than the £50 that I was offered today.
    CEX is terrible. They buy things nowhere near their value and sell it way over what you wanted to get. Cash Converters would be better for that
    CEX were going to pay me £180 were as cash converters were going to give me £150.
    Is it possible that you will have the money you need soon? If so, have you thought about pawn? The interest rate will be high, so only if you know you'll have the money soon to buy your stuff back. At least that way, you could get some money and still keep your stuff.
    I needs to get rid of it anyway. But it's a good idea. I'm not sure that pawning it would be the best of ideas though, because I don't know when exactly I'll get the money.