Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Seizure/Fits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been seeing a girl for about two months and once in a blue moon, usually after sex she'll have what I believe to be a seizure. It involves lots of uncontrollable flailing about of her hands and her head but more worryingly she seems to choking on her own tongue or saliva which is probably my main concern.

Should I only put her in the recovery position after she's stopped spasming and are all seizures caused by Epilepsy?

The real issue is that she doesn't want to talk about it so I can't really find out from her what I should do. When I asked her she said it wasn't epilepsy but I'm pretty sure it is - but then there might be a bit of a language gap because she's Spanish and English is her second language.

She's moving back to Spain next month and I'll probably never see her again but I'd just like the piece of mind that I know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi clydefrog

All seizures are not epileptic. Information on seizures that are non epileptic can be found below.
    What is a Non-Epileptic Event?

A non-epileptic seizure, or non-epileptic event, is a seizure that isn't caused by epilepsy but looks the same. These may be caused by a change or difference in electrical activity in the brain, but not an electrical disruption of the type that triggers an epileptic seizure.

There are two types of non-epileptic seizures, called psychogenic and physiologic. A psychogenic non-epileptic seizure can be brought on by some sort of emotional stressor or trauma. It's a legitimate seizure and should be treated that way, but it is not caused by a problem in the brain.

A physiologic non-epileptic seizure can be triggered by some sort of change in the brain — typically a change in the supply of blood or oxygen rather than electrical activity. Some possible causes of physiologic non-epileptic seizures include:

Rapid drop in blood pressure

Low blood sugar levels

Irregular heartbeat

The above information comes from the every day health website. The link follows... http://www.everydayhealth.com/epilepsy/understanding/when-are-seizures-not-epilepsy.aspx

Regarding the recovery position epilepsy.org reccomend that you put the individual into the recovery position once the seizure has stopped. The link below has illustrations and more information on this.

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/developing-epilepsy-later-life/first-aid

It may be worthwhile asking your girlfriend to speak to a doctor regarding what she is experiencing if she hasn't already.

Hope that helps, let us know.

Phil :thumb:
    Thanks, I was most concerned about what to do when it happened. The first time I just instantly tried to put her in the recovery position while it was still happening and and hovered over my phone debating with myself whether to call an ambulance or not.

I'm not going to try and get her to go to the doctors about it though. Mostly because I don't think she'll be able to. I doubt she'll be able to get an appointment booked before she leaves the country. I've got a feeling she knows quite a lot about what's going on but she just doesn't like talking about it because she was quite upset the last time it happened.
    Hi clydefrog

Thanks for getting back to us with an update.

Its understandable that you would be concerned in that situation as any partner would be. However it is your girlfriends right to deal with medical conditions in her own way. As you say, it sounds like she probably knows more about whats going on that she has told you.

Can you think of any reasons why this may be the case. It could be sensitive to her, but it also sounds like your being a very supportive partner who is concerned with her wellbeing.

It could be worthwhile trying to talk to your partner about this. Communication in a relationship is vital. There could be many reasons why she hasn't opened up more about this subject to you. For example, if you don't live together or meet mostly in public spaces it might always not be the best time to talk further. Finding the right time for both of you is important.

Thanks for updating us on how it went. Please keep posting to let us know how you get on.

Phil :thumb: