Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weight Loss

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there. I've decided I really want to lose some weight. Well, 2.5 stone would be great! I'm going on holiday in August and have worked out I'd like to lose perhaps on average 2 pounds per week. Can anyone suggest some simple exercises I could do at home? I live in the city and find it difficult to go running as I am too self-conscious.
I've begun doing 50 sit ups plus some cross body twists twice a day which leave my stomach muscles in a bit of pain for a while. I have my own horse but cant ride as much as I used to so my abs are quite strong already, just a bit wobbly after some time off! :lol:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    weight loss really needed cardio exercise, rather than things like sit ups alone. There are many dvds that combine cardio with toning.

Yeah I live on the 6th floor so I dont think my neighbours would be too happy with jump rope exercises but the stairs is easily managed as the lift never works anyway!

Maybe going to walk a route with my flatmate and go out running together. It just depends what time of day we go I guess.
    hi
    I dont know how safe the area you live in but when im feeling self conscious I like to go running in the dark, tehre is an added sense of freedom and no one can see you - BONUS!
    Nic
    All nice discussion. As far as the weight loss activities are concerned,
    you should mind that nothing is better than cardio exercises. But you just
    have to be regular in it and must avoid oily and junk food.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Jimmy84 wrote: »
    All nice discussion. As far as the weight loss activities are concerned,
    you should mind that nothing is better than cardio exercises. But you just
    have to be regular in it and must avoid oily and junk food.

Hello Jimmy, welcome to TheSite.org boards, you may want to check the date off threads before responding to them, as the poster may not be around any more, or has got the support needed! *hug* Once again, welcome to TheSite.org boards :)
    Start to eat cleaner, less processed foods. If you like burgers have them now and again rather than everyday. I know that sounds silly but start with getting the basics right. I wouldn't ban any type of food as in my experience it only makes people crave it.

you might find power-walking easier on the joints to start off with if you're quite overweight. You will find a better calorie burn if you do strength/weight bearing exercise. Study after study shows it. (Personally I love using kettlebells as it gets the heart rate up fast and helps tone my body in a short space of time).

If you want to run - for fat loss, I'd run sprints rather mile after mile on the road. HIIT training.

But each to their own. I hate doing cardio as I find it boring so I look for other ways to work aerobically like a Zumba class. Please don't feel self conscious as everyone is trying to hard to follow along than watch you.
    x
    Right, if you're going on holiday in August, I think 2.5 stone is a very ambitious target. I've been losing weight since November with diet and exercise and am have lost 26lb. If you really are serious about losing weight:

- first work out how much energy you use in a day. This is called your maintenance rate. There are calculators for this.
    - secondly, you want to take in less than your maintenance calories every day. For me, my maintenance was 1800 calories and I have consistently taken in less than 1500 calories every day for 6 months. Everyone says its too hard, but if its too hard then losing weight isn't for you. There are no real short-cuts.
    - thirdly exercise, its fantastic and you will feel slimmer for it. As your body gets definition because of the muscles you will feel more confident. But without managing the diet, it will be muscle under a layer of fat.

Weight loss is 90% diet, and 10% exercise. I would say moreso for women too, as men naturally have higher testosterone levels which means they can accommodate for overeating more by exercise.

Also finally and most importantly, remember you are doing this for yourself. You need a target, what you want to aim for, that would make you happy in yourself. Use that as motivation when the going gets tough. Use the best method for you but I found calorie counting easy as well, you just count numbers through the day and make sure they don't exceed a certain amount. A lot of people struggle with counting though and so there are alternate methods if you prefer them, like weight watchers and so on. It boils down to the same fundamentals though, Calories in - calories out = calorie deficit / surplus => fat conversion one way or the other. 3500kcal = 1lb of fat roughly. So over 6 months to lose 28lbs I have under-eaten by about 100,000 calories.

It's definitely something you can do, and it will definitely make you feel awesome. But you need to get a plan and more than that you need a very firm of idea of your target and keep that as a reference for all the times you waver. And its ok to waver. Nobody is perfect. Just remember the next day to refocus and not give up to a binge streak.

Good luck :D
    Hows it going science bro? :)