Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rental Notice Period

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm currently living with a friend and we're thinking of moving because the house is kind of crappy for the money we're paying. We've emailed the landlady and asked how giving her notice would work in order to prepare her for the fact that we may be moving out in the next few months and also so we know our obligations. We used to be on a six month contract but now we're currently on a monthly rolling contract.

She said, and I'm paraphrasing: "you need to give me two months' notice of you moving out. I need to give you one month's notice if I need you to move out".

This smacks of Billy Bullshit to me. Is she right?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it's a rolling contract then I'd expect nothing more than a month either way.
    Wrong way round: you can give one month's notice but she has to give two.
    Hey there,

Slartibartfast and Arctic Roll are spot on. Here's a link from Shelter about how you can end the tenancy - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/ending_a_tenancy_or_licence/ending_a_periodic_agreement

Also check this out for the process your landlord must take if they want to evict you - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/private_tenancies/assured_shorthold_tenancies#2

Good luck with the house hunt! :)
    Wrong way round: you can give one month's notice but she has to give two.

I was hoping you'd answer being as you're all legal and the like!

I thought that was the case: one month for us to give notice of leaving but two for her to give us.

Is she acting unlawfully by insisting we have to give her two months notice?
    Depends what your contract says. The terms of contract override statute providing minimum protection adhered to in contract. She probably is, though, and probably has the wrong end of stick.

Is your deposit protected? If not you could really cause some shit. The law changed last month to help tenants sue landlords fornot protecting deposits
    Depends what your contract says. The terms of contract override statute providing minimum protection adhered to in contract. She probably is, though, and probably has the wrong end of stick.

Is your deposit protected? If not you could really cause some shit. The law changed last month to help tenants sue landlords fornot protecting deposits

We signed a contract for an initial six month period but that ended about a year ago and have been on a "rolling contract" since - not that I've signed any "rolling contract", whatever that is.

Not sure about the deposit. I'll have a look at the initial six month contract.
    If you don't sign a new contract it becomes a periodic tenancy, hence you being able to give one month's motive and your landlord two.

You should have been told within 30 days of paying the deposit who it was protected with. Law recently changed to clarify this and if not done within these 30 days you're entitled to compensation of between one and three times the value of the deposit