Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Office jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need a new 'exciting' job. I work in a chocolate factory at minimum wage (I'm 28). For what we do we should be on more!!!

Are there any office jobs which require you not to use a telephone?
I'm asking because they don't agree with me. And when I did some work experience at Bradford & Bingley Building Society in Crossflats, Keighley, for college quite a few years ago. Someone shouted at me for not ringing a firm up.

I'm NOT going to go through all that again!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, anything involving data entry should have phone use at a minimum. Most office jobs are mind-numbingly boring though. And I'm not sure they'll have much need for an oompa loompa.

Sorry, just had to.
    How exactly do telephones disagree with you? They are usually pretty inanimate if the UK hasn't get hold of some advanced technology I am not aware of.
    Office jobs are boring.. You could find something more interesting than that! :) plus I think a lot of office work involves using a phone.. Find something you really want to do instead of jumping into a job you will end up hating.
    I think you need to decide upon what exactly your problem is with the phone. Staying away from phones entirely is going to limit your mobility in the job world, since pretty much anything where there is career progression is going to involve you talking with other people on the phone at some point.

if your issue is "I didn't want to sell stuff", then that's fairly easily avoided by not getting a sales job.

if your issue is "I don't want to talk to anyone" then yeah, something like data entry will avoid that to some extent, but it won't exactly give you a fabulous career filled with reward and diversity. Making chocolate is likely more interesting than keying in numbers.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Mr Ferrari,

I think Mist has made some good points here :thumb:
    Mist wrote: »
    I think you need to decide upon what exactly your problem is with the phone.
    Mist wrote: »
    if your issue is "I didn't want to sell stuff", then that's fairly easily avoided by not getting a sales job.

It is going to be hard to find an office based job where you can guarantee you won't have to use the phone. As Mist says, you can avoid jobs that are mostly based around talking to people on the phone such as sales jobs but with other jobs it will be hard to be completely reassured in advance that you won't need to use the phone.

As Mist also says, have you thought about what in particular you don't like about using the phone? It sounds as though you have had a bad experience in the past and this has made you nervous of phoning people. Talking on the phone can be unnerving because you cannot plan how the conversation will go, and as you mentioned people can get angry without forewarning which everyone finds horrible :banghead:

It might be worth getting some experience of using the phone and office work in general - perhaps doing some volunteering in an office environment and seeing how you get along? If not, then maybe you could consider thinking outside of the box about your new career, thinking beyond office jobs to other things you might enjoy.

Have a think about what else do you enjoy doing. Working with people? Working outdoors? etc. And what skills you have gained from your current job that you can take to your next role? You say you want to do something 'exciting', so have a think about what exciting means to you?

Good luck, let us know how it goes,
    LauraO
    Decided to stay away from jobs working in the office. God knows why I posted my previous 'question'.

I just need to get out of the factory its doing my head in. I've already been miserable all day thursday because I'm still working in that sh!thole after 9 years. Its seriously doing my head in.

Someone at work has already lost it and is now seeing a shrink. I don't want to get any where near that!.

My job centre sucks. I can't find a decent job. I don't want to work in a warehouse or factory. I'd rather combine my two favourite hobbies, fly fishing and photography, but its just too difficult to get involved.

I'd love to become an approved fly casting instructor (for fly fishing) and teach people how to cast the fly(line). Its not much pay. Teaching people how to cast a salmon line is more money but the salmon rivers are around 20miles away!

I decided yesterday that I'm not going to spend any more money on things I don't need and save up for a new car which I've always wanted.

I really need a new job :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    You could start small with teaching. Run a local ad in a paper, word of mouth, gumtree/craigslist/meetup.com etc. Do it on the weekend for a little cash and for a hobby. Its easy to say it on a forum I know, but if you have the courage to give it a try, you never know.
    I couldn't do that. I need experience then I can get noticed. I don't trust gumtree or vivastreet at all, so that's out of the window.....Although I did post an ad on viva saying that I'm wanting to photograph models, but gave it up. And now I'm just sticking with landscapes.

Applied for a job during the week. Sent me CV. But I have a funny feeling that I won't get a reply.

I'll never get out of where I work now. It feels like my life is going down the drain. I fucking hate working there.period.

I know that I have to keep looking, but I don't know why I bother because I know I won't find a new job.
    Applied for a job during the week. Sent me CV. But I have a funny feeling that I won't get a reply.

I'll never get out of where I work now. It feels like my life is going down the drain. I fucking hate working there.period.

The harsh reality is that with a poor attitude, the liklihood is that you won't get another job.

You have to push through optimism and happiness into your application, your CV and, when you get them, your interviews. If you fail to do this at any stage, you will not progress. Believing that you won't ever get out of your current job is most likely keeping you in it.

For reasons that will become obvious by the end of this, I'm not a career advisor, but in your position the best thing for you is probably to quit your job. If you hate it so much anyway, you'll be well shot of it, and it would give you the incentive you need but seem to lack in order to put everything in to your job search, instead of pre-emptively giving up.
    Nope I can't quit my job just like that. I have a bills to pay and I'm saving up to buy a new car that's £6000+.

I've been off work for a lot of time for the past few years. Lost a lot of money in the process. And I can't wait for overtime then I can get the money rolling in!

I joined Monster last night. See what jobs there are.
    Update: Joined three job sites. What a load of bull!!:impissed:
    hi mr.f

I'm looking to re-train after being stuck in an office for years after swearing I never wanted to work in an office when I was younger.

Please understand that you need to be resiliant in looking for a job & try not to take it personally. I once asked a recruitment agent for feedback on my application. She said they had over 200 applications and decided to not bother looking at any more!

Advice - apply early!