Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anyone train in Mixed Martial Arts?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
When I lived in Wales I used to do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu I got a blue belt and I really enjoyed the training and I made friends there too but I moved away a few months ago so sadly I had to give it up.
Now I'm living in Bristol, I'v been looking for a new place to train Jiu-jitsu I couldn't find anywhere but I did find a very cool MMA gym which is just up the road from me.
I think I could do it especially since I already have a "base style" in Jiu-jitsu, but my question is (to anyone who trains in MMA) what else should I be considering before I take it up?
Do you get badly injured often? I couldn't really afford the time off work to be honest and my job is manual so a broken leg for example would really f'k me up, how often do serious injuries occur in training?
What about fitness? I used to be very fit when I was doing BJJ but not so much now, I havnt trained for about 6 months, should I get back in shape before I attempt to do MMA or should I worry about that afterwards?

Cheers
-stu
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've only done judo, and serious injuries are pretty rare in that. There's no punching or kicking, obviously, but there's a lot of chance of falling awkwardly, which is more dangerous in terms of serious injury. Tbh, you're more likely to break your leg playing football than in martial arts. In my experience, it's the annoying twinges that tend to be more common. Martial arts look dangerous, but in terms of the actual number of serious injuries, they're nowhere near the level of plenty of sports you wouldn't think twice about doing. Certainly not from training, anyway.

As for fitness etc, I don't know how useful this will be, but it might be interesting anyway (obviously done more with football in mind that martial arts):
    Stephen Ireland - Part 1
    Stephen Ireland - Part 2
    Stephen Ireland - Part 3

But I doubt the club would allow him to do that if there was an increased chance of him getting injured. And again, in my experience, there are plenty of people of various fitness levels at martial arts clubs, and I'm sure they'll have training that will be suited to the sport.

Here's some more videos of the same school.
    Never done MMA but going down the usual martial arts thinking then there is a high possibility you'll get hurt (every martial art runs this risk) Okay MMA at competition sounds a lot rougher but in training i'd imagine it would be monitored by a Master or Sensai type figure? I'd imagine you'll run the risk of the usual injuries e.g. broken fingers, toes, hurt wrists, muscles etc?
    Yes i think you need a pretty good level of fitness if you're going to be any good but i'd say that about any sport. The fitter you are the better you will be. Why don't you just ring the MMA place and arrange to go down for a look and watch/join in a training session.
    Well...
    I'm going to the beginners class tomorrow, I'v managed to get a mate interested too.
    wish me luck :)

Thanks for looking at my thread and posting

IWS- There is no punching or kicking in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu either mate, I'm sure you know, its alot like judo except with less emphasis on throws and more grappling and ground fighting.
    Cool vids, thanks for posting

Carolina- Yes, I think you're the only way to find out is to just get on with it! I phoned them and they said The beginners class doesn't do much actual sparring so chances of being injured are quite small.
    I think you need a pretty good level of fitness if you're going to be any good but i'd say that about any sport. The fitter you are the better you will be. Why don't you just ring the MMA place and arrange to go down for a look and watch/join in a training session.
    More asked here mmastream.cc