Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fixing a not flushing loo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a close coupled toilet which has been flushing badly for a month or so, and over the past days its stopped all together. I have a feeling the membrane on the syphon has gone, so I think I'm going to have to replace the syphon but is there anything else I can try first?

We can't afford to call a plummer out (already paid a handyman at the request of our landlord, who did fuck all) and I don't really have half a day to fix the loo! I've been watching how to do it on youtube all evening!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your local Wickes is a good place to start. They have helpful guides on how to do things in store, and also will probably have the bits. Remember to turn off your water main before you start taking it apart.
    Can you complain to your landlord again? I think this kind of thing is normally under their domain of responsibility. Just say the handyman didn't fix it, and its still not flushing.
    Actually, yeah, what ShyBoy said. You live in rented accommodation, and this probably counts as an emergency plumbing situation because of the sanitation issues. Your landlord is required to get it sorted, and pay for it too.
    Cos our landlord lives 100+ miles away we have an agreement that he pays for repairs but we organise them. We've already paid once and we can't really go back to our landlord and say we need more money because the guy we found didn't fix it.

I'm going to go to plumb centre today and see what they say...tell probably tell me I need to get a plumber out but hey ho!
    Could always give the handyman a ring and say you want the money back as its still not fixed... any works carried out by professionals e.g. people you pay are generally covered by a statutory warranty therefore whether there's a contract or not, if you've paid them to do a job and within a time period that job hasn't been completed to a good satisfaction, then you are either entitled to your money back (and can get a real plumber in) or get them to make amends. At least that's my understand of the law. I'm not a lawyer of course, but really you shouldn't let some 'handyman' take advantage of you by taking the funds to fix something, without actually fixing it.

A recent similar situation was with my mum, we had a plumber in to redo her ENTIRE house. She had paid parts but not labour, but there were leaks and she wouldn't pay the rest of the funds until the leaks were fixed. He went on holiday and mum had to get someone else into finish the job, so the original plumber got diddly squat. It might seem harsh but at the end of the day, these people are professionals and really need to finish a job properly.
    I definitely wouldn't be paying for the repairs myself for something that's the landlord's responsibility. I've had to have someone out three times before to fix my boiler (seemed to be fixed the first time but wasn't so someone else came, same thing happened, third person came and finally fixed it) and it never even crossed my mind to pay for it myself on the second or third time. If it's the landlord's responsibility (and I'm assuming it is) he should be paying to fix it, even if that means someone has to come out twice.
    Hey there Miss_Riot,

Sounds like an awful situation to be in. But it's great that you've been proactive by reporting the problem to the landlord, getting someone in to have a look and even looking it up on Youtube (it still amazes me that you can learn so much from it!

But I do agree with ShyBoy and Kat_B that your landlord should really be the one to make sure that this is put right. Have a look at this page on the Shelter website.

I understand there's this agreement with you and the landlord, where you find the contractor and your landlord pays for it. However, it's still your landlord's responsibility to get it fixed, however it's done. Therefore, it might be an idea to contact your landlord and explain the situation, including what you've been doing to find a solution. Ideally, you should put this in writing to your landlord. He should then let you know you can get a contractor in and that he will pay for it.

If your landlord doesn't get it fixed then we have a whole new issue to discuss, so please let us know if he doesn't and we'll be more than happy to help.

:)
    We've been putting it in writing every month. We've now had a leak from the waste pipe and had piss leaking through the kitchen ceiling and the plaster board has come down. He's trying to blame the the plumber we had out to fix the loo, but isn't a totally different problem. We've had it with the guy, we're going to give him an ultimatum about getting the house fixed up, or we look for somewhere else
    Good. Get it all evidenced up in case you need to go to small claims to get your deposit back.
    Don't need to worry about that cos the council had to pay our deposit, it's just the hassle of it all is really wearing me down
    Yup, I bet it is. You can start bugging your council too. Sanitation is an environmental health issue.
    It's fixed but we now just have a huge hole it the kitchen ceiling (amongst other things) to fix
    No, he does. Not you, never you. It's always always always your landlords responsibility to keep the house sound.
    Well he can't arrange work people because no one wants to work for him. It's all just so shit!