Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is 24 too old to make up for a lost teenagehood?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I’m pretty new here, so nice to meet you :)

Got a sob story I’m afraid…I will try and keep it short. I’ve hit a phase in my life at 24 where I’m looking back quite a lot over my life. Lots of deep reminiscing going on tbh. Just finished a course of mild SSRI’s, as the past few years have been a bit more challenging than I could break out of.

One thing that really gets me down though is this feeling of missing out on the true meaning of teenagehood. I guess it’s subjective, but for me it’s doing things like road trips, gigs, camping, having a group of mates you belong too and share some cool and horrific experiences with. Sob story short, I never had any of that as I was pretty shy and awkward coming out of school. I was never a total loner though, just never felt comfortable coming out of the shell more than I should....

I’ve got to a point now where I’ve finally found the confidence and urge to get out and just do some crazy stuff with a bunch of like minded people. Pretty much like I should’ve been at 16. Like I’ve never actually been to a festival, never travelled or gone on a holiday with mates. These are just my ideas of what a typical, outgoing late teen’s life might be like. I just feel like I’ve totally wasted that period of my life and desperate to make up for it… If I’m being silly about all this please say, but right now I’m looking hard for ways to make up for it, to atone for it, before I get any older :-( Any advice would be valued.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Surely thats what anyone can do, regardless of age! I've seen people in their 80's going to Glastonbury, so do it! Only this time you'll have the wisdom to not mix beer and wine/take dodgy pills/fall in love with people you'll never see again/etc. You can miss out on the some of the horrific and avoidable experiences! Most of my friends are still doing those things well into their late 20s and early 30s (or until they get married and have kids). Just do it! :)
    Cheers Miss_Riot, glad you mentioned the wine/beer mixing as that was tomorrow night's plan :) It's reassuring to know people older than myself are still living 'the teenage dream...'. But your advice is taken, hoping to go back to uni at some point too so will hopefully have plenty of chances....!
    It's never too late for gigs, road trips, camping etc. I am 25 and I do that quite regularly without trying to catch up missed things. Why are these things not adult-worthy? I have friends who are 30+ and still do that things on a regular basis.

I prefer a good camping holiday to some pre-paid all-inclusive club-beach shit holiday.
    I went to my first festival last year, aged 27.
    24 is still very young, you can do all those things, and more.
    I made pretty much the same decision when I was 22, avoiding all the parts of being responsible and a good boy I decided to do those dumb things I had never done and would have been better off doing.

3 months later I was asleep on a bench on a station in Denmark in the middle of winter, it was pretty cool! Doing stuff when you are older is a bit more fun because you aren't expected to do it, you should be at home working or something and going on package holidays to Costa Cheapo.

A good start for me was giving myself an objective for my birthdays as I got older, that on my birthday I would do something I have never done before but always wanted to do. Two years ago I rode a motorbike for the first time (unlicensed but on a quiet road) and last year I walked around a field shooting cowshit with a shotgun, this year I am being more sedate and climbing a smallish mountain.

My advice would be to set yourself that kind of goal that 'by this time I will have done this' and NEVER let anything stand in the way of you doing something stupid, be it your own common sense, a girlfriend or friends saying you shouldn't, money or legality (within reason, trespassing or throwing a deodorant can on a fire to see what happens is alright, stabbing someone is not) stop you from enjoying your life and doing the crazy stuff you want to do!

Just remember not to hurt anybody else physically or leave emotional scarring with your actions.
    I kind of consider your 20s as an 'extention' of your late teenage years (18-19), I mean, you are somewhat expected to be more mature, but you are still very young, hell up until age 25 you're still considered a 'yoof of today' so.. a youth for government purposes etc.

Yes there are people in your age group who are starting to get married and have kids, but lets be honest, that's a lifestyle choice.. you are not expected to follow that trend, nor are you expected to start the career you're gonna have for the rest of your life, lots of people change their minds and retrain, go (/back) to uni. etc.

As for fun and activities, plenty of people in their 20s do all that, people in their 30s and 40s too.

I suppose you'll get very frowned upon if you and your mates were to go down to the park and get pissed on bottles of WKD, but nobody is stopping you doing that (except the law maybe).

Just live life how you want to, you're not alone, you're still very young. Be as immature as you want to.

:)
    I made pretty much the same decision when I was 22, avoiding all the parts of being responsible and a good boy I decided to do those dumb things I had never done and would have been better off doing.

3 months later I was asleep on a bench on a station in Denmark in the middle of winter, it was pretty cool! Doing stuff when you are older is a bit more fun because you aren't expected to do it, you should be at home working or something and going on package holidays to Costa Cheapo.

A good start for me was giving myself an objective for my birthdays as I got older, that on my birthday I would do something I have never done before but always wanted to do. Two years ago I rode a motorbike for the first time (unlicensed but on a quiet road) and last year I walked around a field shooting cowshit with a shotgun, this year I am being more sedate and climbing a smallish mountain.

My advice would be to set yourself that kind of goal that 'by this time I will have done this' and NEVER let anything stand in the way of you doing something stupid, be it your own common sense, a girlfriend or friends saying you shouldn't, money or legality (within reason, trespassing or throwing a deodorant can on a fire to see what happens is alright, stabbing someone is not) stop you from enjoying your life and doing the crazy stuff you want to do!

Just remember not to hurt anybody else physically or leave emotional scarring with your actions.

This is inspiring. Minus the shotgun and trespassing :) ... I think for me personally it has a lot to do with finding people willing to join you for the ride. A few high school mates are in fact getting married with kids - and as much as I'm really pleased for them, I wonder whether my peers are willing to be on the same song-sheet as me
    Threxy wrote: »
    I suppose you'll get very frowned upon if you and your mates were to go down to the park and get pissed on bottles of WKD, but nobody is stopping you doing that (except the law maybe).

:D I remember I used to volunteer in the police and have spoken to a few of these peeps....I definitely didn't make me want to take that up as a youthful pastime!
    your never too old to do any of those things :) not everyone has the confidence to do it in their teens, then they hit their 20's and they start coming out of their shell and start living life! so honestly just go for it :) x

Lol I once threw a deodrant can in a fire because I was curious as to what would happen and nothing happened even though it was in the fire for hours. I heard that the heat would build up pressure in the can causing it to explode plus the can was full too! lol