Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice on stopping self harming? :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a 16 year old girl & I have been self harming for around 3years. I stopped for around 5months, but things are getting worse & I have started up again.

When I am upset or angry, I cut my arms or my legs. The main reason for doing this is my bad relationship with my brother. He makes me feel stupid, worthless & makes me also feel like my life isn't worth living.

I have so many scars all over my body as well as new cuts & each day, they are getting harder to hide. There's too much. I can't tell my parents because I don't want to put pressure on them or make them feel guilty. I hate being the center of attention.

I try to distract myself from cutting. I write down all my feelings, write down lyrics that describe how I'm feeling and I also draw. I know that this is supposed to help but sometimes it gets to much for me and I cut.

Yesterday, I spoke to a teacher at school about it. She was very understanding but I felt like it was a bad idea & again, I cut.

One of my worries is when it comes to Summer... I don't know what I'm going to do. I have too much scars and I get highly self conscious. I hate wearing long sleeves but I have to. I think my mom has realised that something is changing about me but she is too scared to say anything.

Is there any other ways to distract myself? I have tried to punch pillows, snapping elastic bands on my wrists, painting, The Butterfly Project, running & screaming at the top of my voice. I feel like none of this can stop me.

Thankyou.
<3

Comments

• Options
    Hi Chelsey-Louise'BvB(::wave:,

I would like to take the chance to welcome you to the Site and hope that you find the forums very useful, It is a great place to come and share posts,chat and offer and receive advice to/from others.:thumb:.

I am sorry that you are feeling like this at the moment, have you tried chatting to your brother and trying to talk things through with him ? It could be good to get everything out in the open and making him aware of the way he can make you feel sometimes.

Is there anyone else you could talk to ?, a counsellor ( possibly through a young persons advice service) or a friend you can really trust. I know you said in your post that you chatted to a teacher and although she was understanding you felt that it was a bad idea, do you think you may feel a bit more at ease if it was in a non- school environment ?.

I have added some links to Coping tips and distractions and scars and treatments for you too have a look at.:)

I hope that this has been helpful and Please keep on posting to us on The Site, we are always here for you to offer support and advice.:thumb:.

Take Care,

B*hug*.
  • Options
    Thankyou for the welcome B. :)

I have tried talking to him. I tried to ask him if we can just get along for the sake of the family because it's going to tear us all apart. He said no because 'I'm not part of the family'... :( Whenever we try to talk to each other, it usually results in an argument or a fist fight.

I have tried looking for groups and meetings for youths who are going through a bad time, I couldn't find any... That's why I'm retorted to TheSite. Do you have any other ideas?:( Thankyou anyway:).

Thankyou for taking the time to answer me. You have helped me a lot. I will give talking to my brother another try & I will tell you how the counselling has went. The scar treatments are a good idea(:

Again, thank you.<3
  • Options
    Hi Chelsea-Louise :wave:

keep strong with it all, did you try the local advice finder on the site homepage? If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page it's on the right.

dp :heart:
  • Options
    Thankyou all for the support. It means a lot to me.

I have tried talking to him. In fact, I tried yesterday afternoon when I got in from school. Let's just say that things didn't go well...

I might just give up altogether. :/ 'xox.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey there, its understandable you have points at which it all feels too much and you've done well to express yourself honestly. As Dollypop says, there is a local advice finder on the homepage - let us know how you get on with it and if you need any help searching. Also, there's a website specifically for people in Scotland called 'Look Ok Feel Crap' take a look as they have a fair bit of info. :)