Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

jsa- really confusing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since deferring from uni I've been trying my hardest to get a job- any job. So far I've been unsuccessful. We are really struggling financially.

I live with my boyfriend who earns 22,500 a year from his job though he has recently taken a 10% paycut. The last time I tried to apply for JSA I was turned away because my boyfriend earns this amount.

I saw someone from CAB today who didn't make a great impression but said as far as she could see we arent entitled to any financial help.

However just completed a benefits check online and it's saying I could be elligible for contribution based JSA at £71 a week. It's got my hopes up but is this right??

I inputted our total rent, council tax and my boyfriend's income.

Can anyone help? Is it worth applying?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    God yes! I earn £25k and live with my partner who has applied for JSA, she'll get ~£140 a fortnight.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    God yes! I earn £25k and live with my partner who has applied for JSA, she'll get ~£140 a fortnight.

bit personal, but can i ask if that's contribution based? i think i've worked out the difference and am doubting if i've paid enough NI to qualify.. meh
    Got no idea. Sorry.
    In order to get JSA contributions based, you would need to have paid enough national insurance class 1 (this is the contribution made by your employer) in the previous 2 years.
    Melian wrote: »
    In order to get JSA contributions based, you would need to have paid enough national insurance class 1 (this is the contribution made by your employer) in the previous 2 years.

yeah i know i haven't done that. bah
    Can't hurt to apply?
    You can't get contributions based JSA if you don't have the contributions. It's a simple box-ticking exercise. This applies regardless of who you are.

You cannot claim any form of JSA if you are a full time student. The definition of "full time student" is anyone who is on a full time course of study and this applies from the day you start the course until the day you permanently leave, abandon or are dismissed from the course. The only exception to this is if you have temporarily suspended from your course because of caring responsibilities or ill health, these problems have ended and you are waiting to return to your course. You can then claim JSA, either contributions based JSA if you have the contributions, or income based JSA if your income and that of your partner is less than your applicable amount. The same rules apply to housing benefit.

There are exceptions if you are disabled and receive certain disability benefits, but these are quite complex.

This is a long way of saying that the CAB staff member is right.

In terms of other funding options, in some situations intercalating students can continue to receive some support from Student Finance England. Failing that, there's always your university's Access to Learning Fund if things are very tight.
    Oh right. I didnt realise I still counted as a FT student having deferred. I'm not disabled but was considering ringing the local Job Centre to discuss Work Trials any other schemes. I'll throw in my dyslexia and dyspraxia if it would help. But as far as I can see you'd have to have been unemployed for so many months to qualify.

Havent even considered the Access to Learning Fund. Am I still elligible even if I'm deferred? The money wouldnt be used for educational purposes either e.g. books. It'd be used to cover living expenses.

Thanks for the advice so far
    It depends how your deferral has been registered and what other sources of income you have available.

It's not the disability, it's whether you get benefits for it, i.e. do you get DLA.
    It depends how your deferral has been registered and what other sources of income you have available.

It's not the disability, it's whether you get benefits for it, i.e. do you get DLA.

ha no I don't. I was just browsing sites like Employability and wondered if the Job Centre had anything similar. Just been rang for an interview in a fast food restaurant next Tues. Fingers crossed for me
    Hey there clemintime_the_tangerine,

Sounds like a tricky situation to be in.

I think the above responses are spot on so I won't repeat.

Maybe you could find out how your deferral has been registered as Arctic Roll points out; then you'll know your status...? I am sure your Uni will be able to help you with this.

Good luck for the interview! :thumb:

You may also want to have a look at this article on theSite.org about making extra money - http://thesite.org/homelawandmoney/money/cashflow/makingextramoney
    Or alternatively budgeting with that you do have - http://thesite.org/homelawandmoney/money/cashflow/makingabudget

:)
    thanks L1ttleone!

Just put some items up on ebay and sold my eglu on it today. so a little bit of money is finally coming in. will report back on the interview. but i hope i get it