Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Studying with the OU

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm looking at both the MAs in Music and Humanities with the open uni, I'm not sure which would work for me, but I'm so not sure if studying with the OU would work for me.

A friend of mine has been studying for a BA with the OU and she's said she's had to give it 12hrs a week. I'm not sure I could give it that much time right now because of my health, but I'd like to hope that maybe next year that would change. I'm not sure what the application process would be like, or even what kind of funding options I'd have open to me if I was doing a OU course, and what kind of resources I'd have available (i.e. if I didn't have access to research databases and such it would make doing an MA disertation very very difficult).

Any info about OU study would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I currently study with OU. Yes, I have to do around 12 hours a week; (it depends on how many points your course is, deadlines, etc) but, I can do that whenever I want, unlike a brick uni.

The application process is simple. You apply online, register and then have a short form to fill in.

You get all the course materials, which are books, DVDs or online.
    They can't provide me with all the materials, they can't provide me with 100+ books for an MA disertation, and I'll need access to various databases for research...

I might have to give them a call and see what they say...
    Hey Miss_Riot,

I understand your apprehension about not having the right materials to do an Open University course justice. But there are solutions. As a student with the OU of modules more than 15 credits, you can get the SCONUL card. This allows you to borrow material from participating libraries in your local area (a lot of University libraries participate). Have a look at this page for more info > http://www8.open.ac.uk/library/help-and-support/using-resources/libraries-near-you/is-the-sconul-access-scheme-and-join

Also, as I understand it, the OU also have online resources that you can access (e.g. ebooks). This might be a better solution for you as you don't need to travel anywhere. Have a look at this for more info > http://www8.open.ac.uk/library/

Lastly, as you say, calling them may be a good idea too! It would be good to know what they say - so do let us know.

:)
    The OU does a lot of "courses" on iTunes U, check those resources to help, add that to you choice to make a decision.
    What course are you doing cecelia48?
    Cecilia48 wrote: »
    avatar2.jpgThey can't provide me with all the materials.

neither do many other unis. Is it really that wrong to source your own materials?
    I think that's a bot or something. The other posts of that account just take a snippet of text from another users post and repost it.
    Bloody annoying! I'm happy to source my own materials but it's so important to have access to research databases (such as Jstor) and a lot of academic papers you have to pay crap loads to see without a uni membership licence - such as sage publications.
    Just spoke to them and I was pretty impressed. For all the essay based modules, I get sent out all of the materials I need to look at, and I can go and access any university library that under the SCONUL scheme, plus they are signed up to most major databases and academic publishers.

Its going to cost me less than half of what my BA did, and I can spread the cost over the duration of the course. (sorry to sound a bit like an advert but I'm seriously impressed!)

I'm just waiting to get a call back from someone on the faculty and some previously set essays so I get an idea of content and stuff...

Good stuff! Why can't all universities at least have their customer services and approachibility?
    Just saw this. If you need a nudge, my step-mum is an OU tutor, she's just finished a PhD with them having done undergrad and post grad courses. My dad and brother in law have also used them, and I plan to as well in future. They're really quite good.
    I think the deciding factor is whether I'm well enough to work and support myself (and get some funding) to do this other course for a year, or if I'm still not up to doing this new course & working, trying to get myself well enough to do part time a few hours a week and give this a go in my spare time.

I need to work out how long I've got before I need to register for sept/jan start