Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Questions to ask at interviews.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I have an interview on Thursday. Yaaaaaay me.

But the bit where they ask if you have any questions for them? I suck at that bit.

Help >.<

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mine would be salary, and how flexible are they with hours
    Lexi99 wrote: »

As the interviewer, that would tell me that you are only in it for the money and doing as little as possible, or at least getting away as quickly as possibe. It may not be what you mean but that's how bosses take those kind of questions.

I would ask about opportunities for training and development, I would ask about their approach to internal promotion. Basically you are trying to give the impression that you are there for the long term and want to develop yourself.
    That's what I'm worried about. I already know the salary range, and it's a 9-5 office job, so that's fine. But I wanted to ask about whether they do season ticket loans for trains etc., because it's in London and that's a fair old whack off the price of a ticket if they offered a loan for the yearly.
    Good question. Also, have a look at their website, and news about the company, and find a question based on that - makes it look like you've done some research and that this isn't just about "any job" but more that you really want to work for them.
    Mine are usually fairly generic:

- What are typical progression / career development routes for people starting at my level? What have people in the past gone onto do? Do people stay within the company or leave after a few years?
    - What qualities do think makes an outstanding employee at this level? Are there any standout employees you've had in the past who were really a bit special, and if so what made them special?
    - Whats your personal favourite bits about working for this company? (this normally rounds off the interview quite nicely)
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Franki
    have a look at their website, and news about the company, and find a question based on that - makes it look like you've done some research and that this isn't just about "any job" but more that you really want to work for them.

:yes:

As Slartibartfast says it's a good idea to think of something that shows your interest in their company and demonstrates your interest in this particular job. There are a few ideas at the end of this article about Job interviews that may help.

Also, if you haven't seen the Job Hunting section on TheSite before then take a look as there are some great fact sheets about preparing for a job interview which has some more examples of questions to ask, job interview tips and body language at interviews which includes one of my all time favourite TheSite videos :D

Good luck on Thursday, we'll all have our fingers crossed for you :thumb:
    When I've interviewed I've liked the questions where people have shown they know what the job is and are in it for the long haul. What travel arrangements can be provided is actually a good question- it shows you're prepared to commit to an annual season ticket for starters. Training is a good question, personal development another, getting the employer to sell the company is actually a pretty good question too. Makes the interviewer think and it makes you sound questioning and ambitious to get on.

I ask about flexible working because I have a young daughter and say as much, but if you don't have a good reason for wanting flexible working (family or caring commitments) then asking about it makes you look flaky. And as you're a woman I'd be wary about making it sound like you want babies; not all employers are what you would call enlightened.

The other thing I would say, and couldn't emphasise enough, is TAKE YOUR TIME. Silence feels really bad, I know, but take your time to answer, think about it. So long as you acknowledge the question rather than sitting there catching flies, it impresses me when someone takes a few seconds to compose an answer. Better than babbling on like some people do.

My personal favourite still is the man who, when asked what the importance of teamwork was, answered "eeh, it's better than working by yersel'". :chin:
    Lexi99 wrote: »

Most of the time they do state the salary in job adverts.

I was told to ask things about:
    - any on the job training / qualifications
    - job progression
    - overtime