Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dealing with Therapy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been going to therapy for the best part of 3 years now but its been a bit fragmented and I have recently started working with a new therapist. 3rd session today and it was really fucking hard and I'm really frustrated and I'm not sure I'm up for it right now. Its just such hard work, and its such a head fuck. The thing is I know I'll regret it it if I stop because it does help a lot. Part of it is the whole starting again thing, she knows nothing about me except for what I tell her and I find it difficult to talk about a lot of stuff. Am beginning to wonder if its worth it. So really what I'm asking is how do you deal with the consequences of being in therapy in the larger sense? not just that after session feeling. And the emotions? and explaining everything?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's important you bring this up with your therapist. Therapy never is easy but it shouldn't be do hard that you're thinking of quitting.

Just after each appointment I try to think of a couple of key points that I might want to reflect upon during the coming week, sometimes I write them down but not always, and then I put the rest to bed until the next session. It's too heavy to carry around everything said each week, I can't cope with more than a couple of points to go on.

Does that help?
    It's importance to be realistic with yourself, and your plans around the rest of the day. Allowing some time to unwind after a session can help some people, chill out for a bit doing something easy you enjoy - or something mindless like doing the hoovering with the radio on in the background.

Like Miss Riot said - be sure to tell your therapist you're finding it heavy going. You say one of the issues is that you're having to go over everything with her from scratch - is there any way she could get any notes from someone you've seen previously, or maybe you write some bits down from her to give her some of the information without you feeling that there's a mountain of explaining still to go.
    It takes weeks to start to trust a therapist and it's hard at first. Don't expect too much from yourself and be honest with the therapist. If you're not ready to talk about something, say so
    Thanks guys.
    She knew she'd pushed me a bit far coz she gave me a get out for next week (I don't have to give her notice) I can just decide on Friday if I want to go or not. I agree with all of you in that I need to talk to her about this, I think its mostly the trust thing, you know I've only had 3 sessions with her. But yes. Trying to persevere.