Home Travel & Free Time Creative
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

Quick mothers day makes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking functional things, or a photo album, but I can't come to any decisions.

What's everyone else making for their mamas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I knit my mum a tea cosy for Christmas and gave it to her with a new tea pot.
    I think it needs to be something transportable, and less breakable in this house! We have 2 sets of china because we break plates so easily!

Great idea though. Did it take long? I would have thought the shaping would have been difficult.
    The one I made for my mum took quite a while as it's covered in roses that had to be done individually. But I did a different one for something else that was much quicker. See my ravelry pages for more details.
    The shaping is similar to a hat. I'm sure you could do it.
    Make a cake!! It's easy and cheap but it's still something that shows effort.
    Last year I bought a photo album and printed out photos of just me and my mum, she really liked it.
    I think I might pay for a photoshoot of me and mum if I can afford it because we have about 5 pics of us together and none are very nice!

I'd still like to make her something though...cake isn't a good idea after the great baking disaster of last weekend!!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I think I might pay for a photoshoot of me and mum if I can afford it because we have about 5 pics of us together and none are very nice!

I'd still like to make her something though...cake isn't a good idea after the great baking disaster of last weekend!!
    Try groupon for deals on photoshoots.
    I know enough local photographers now with doing make up on photo shoots I think I could get a good deal. I'd want to do her make up as well, she keeps asking me to do it and I keep forgetting or not having the time to do it.
    Got any Aran/Worsted?

I'm making a pair of Fetching for my mum. Did the first one on Sunday and didn't take me too long :)
    Glad you didn't make that spelling mistake this time! :p

(can't do double pointed yet :( )
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Glad you didn't make that spelling mistake this time! :p

(can't do double pointed yet :( )

It's easier than it looks, I promise :)
    It's easier than it looks, I promise :)

I figured it would be a good idea to expand on this a bit:

Knitting with DPNs is just like knitting with straights. If you can knit back and forth, you can knit circular.

One thing I WILL say, though, is remember to always have your work growing towards you. I made that mistake with my first sock and ended up with a backwards heel because the pattern confused me a bit (luckily the top was ribbed, so I just started knitting the other direction once I'd realised I had 5 inside out rows!)