Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Counsellor breaking confidentiality to head of year?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Back in 6th form (nearly 2 years ago) I was going through bad times (depression and the fun that comes with that) and went to see the in school counsellor.

So my friend just told me recently, that apparently info from my sessions was passed around from the counsellor to the head of year..

...and as a result this head of year passed on information to another teacher she was living with, her in turn passed it down to a friend of mine..

My friend doesn't lie, and tbh its been bugging me since she ever told me.

I feel kinda upset tbh.. I'm trying to verify the story, with one of the teachers I know quite well..

So is this allowed from the counsellor? I'm guessing not, also what can be done about it?

Thanks to anyone who replies..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unless you or someone else was in danger or a crime was being committed, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

You could still make a complaint to BACP
    I was partially considered to 'be in danger' around the time but not critically as in 'act now' kinda danger, but I had community support from the CMHT too..

But surely that's not right regarding my HOY passing it to another teacher who doesn't even teach me?
    If you were considered to be in danger then that allows then to pass information on. If your considered to be in danger then the school will have a procedure to follow which will include notifying certain staff with a responsibility for child welfare - whether or not they teach you. The bit that's potentially not quite right is that teacher then passing it on to your friend.
    Hi Purple_converse:thumb:,

I am sorry this seems to be playing on your mind at the moment, it certainly sounds that the information from your sessions has been shared inappropriately, have you got a student advice/advocacy/student liason service within your college ?, if so, it may be an idea to chat to them and see where you stand in trying to investigate this, they will probably advise you on who to take this further with.

Have a chat to your friend who has heard this information too, try to gather all of the facts together and give as much information as possible. :)

I hope this has helped and please post on the site and let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    B:wave:
    At the start of your first session it should have been explained to you what information would have been shared under what circumstances. It is entirely reasonable that the head of year was given some information, and that some of that information be shared with other members of staff as appropriate. That your friend got to hear anything about it is almost certainly against the school's policy