Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

KONY 2012 & Invisible Children

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Watch this

Sound great doesn't it?

Then read this and this

I totally believe that Kony needs to be caught and tried, but I'm not sure the US goverment sending troops in is going to do more than anger the LRA so that they retaliate against innocent civilians. If it was UN peace keepers, a de-arming program, helping the goverment and army sort it out themselves then I would be all for it, but I'm really unsure right now...

Your thoughts?...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But what are your thoughts particularly on Invisible Children and their campaign?
    He's a bastard.

If the best way to stop him is to give him a knighthood and tea and scones with the Queen we should do that, if the best way is that US sends 101 Airborne, well it aint me or one of my mine who'll stop a bullet and if the best way is to send in the UN, well they should go in (but the antecedents aren't good unless you want the US, or the Brits or the Canucks or the French to be there to give the military muscle and guts needed)

There's no simple answer...

However, on whether the Invisible Children is a useful charity or not, is irrelevant. They may be incompetent, they may be corrupt, they may even (and I know this is a great an insult as you can ever have in current times) be Neo-Conservative. However none of that makes any difference to my first sentence and Kony is still a bastard.
    I totally agree that Kony is a c*nt but I'm disturbed by the idea of people profiting off potentially inciting war!
    This is all over Twitter, of course.

I'm with Flash, you have to ask what is more important - stopping this guy or the morals/approach of the charity which is raising the issue. The answer becomes pretty clear then.
    When you look further into it, it becomes more apparent that he pretty much has been stopped. His terrorist organisation have not been operational in Uganda for years. The Ugandan government have their own human rights skeletons in the closet. He hasn't been caught, but that's pretty much par for the course with these people. He'll turn up, like they all do, when it is politically expedient for him to be caught and not a moment before.

I question the motives of the charity: why now, why this? Why support Rush Limbaugh? What is the real agenda? I seriously doubt they give a toss about the children.

I question the motives of the charity: why now, why this? Why support Rush Limbaugh? What is the real agenda? I seriously doubt they give a toss about the children.

Opposite way round I think - Rush Limbaugh supported Kony, not the IC

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/limbaugh-defended-joseph-kony_n_1332477.html
    http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Lots of interesting stuff on there!

Kony has moved on to the DRC, southen sudan and central african republic. He's aparently still active but "changing tacktics"...

hmmm...
    I already did my part by liking a facebook status. That will show him.