Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Telling my boss i'm leaving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So after everything thats happened I have 2 options now. I can go for the completely new coffee shop job, or my old manager had agreed to let me go over to her shop but she can only give me 3 days a week for now. Im leaning towards going over the other store, even though its less hours.

The thing now is how do i tell my boss? Im not good with confrontation at all, and i dont want her to be angry with me. If i was going for the new job it would be fine but how do i tell her 'sorry but im going to the other shop'. Shes also going to ask why and i cant tell her 'its because i hate you, and being here with you is stressing me out'. What do i say?

Comments

• Options
    How much notice would you need to give before leaving? In terms of what to actually say, I don't think it would be too bad to say you're finding it increasingly stressful at work and that's why you want a change of scene. Keep it vague and if your boss is the confrontational type it will give her less reason to react. Maybe tell your boss towards the end of a shift when you know you'll have a day or two off work. Also have your written resignation ready (if it's needed) to give at the same time. It's never an easy situation to be in and if you're staying within the same chain, it might be worth having your new manager on standby to call if your current boss gives you any hassle. If you have any holiday owed to you it might be worth using it as part of your notice period if possible. Hope it goes ok for you
  • Options
    Thanks for that. Its been an emotional afternoon.

I rang my boss and she flipped out at me, telling me i cant leave and that shes talking to the regional manager, leaving me in floods of tears.

Well more fool her because the boss said I can leave, and now its just a case of deciding on a suitable period of time for me to stay. I dont know how long but hopefully not too much, maybe a couple of weeks.

Its going to be awkward as hell at work tomoro and we're going to be on our own for an hour and a half until the next person comes in so i hope its busy so it keeps us both preoocupied. At least i know im getting out soon!
  • Options
    Aww *hugs* Fingers crossed for tomorrow, hopefully she will have calmed down a bit overnight. If she makes things difficult for you tomorrow, maybe have a word with your boss and see if she can get you out of there sooner. Sounds like you're well rid of a manager like that!
  • Options
    Report her if she's being more of a bitch to you. Telling you that you can't leave? Pfft.
  • Options
    Guilt!!

Right, new update!

I have been informed that for next weeks rota starting friday i am not on it which means i am free to go over to the other store.

The only thing is now im facing unbelivable guilt at leaving. Not for the boss but for the rest of the team who work there. We are so so close and i almost feel like i am abandoning them and leaving them with this horrible woman.

I know that they are all old enough and more than capable of deciding they dont like it and doing something about it i.e, leaving, putting in complaint etc, and in the end i was the one who got my finger out and changed my situation but still :(

I dont want anyone to hate me for abandoning them, and they all say they dont and i should do what makes me happy in the end. Im going to miss them all so much :(
  • Options
    Before you feel guilty, remember you're doing this for you, not for them.
  • Options
    Tomoro is my last official day on the rota, although i may be called in to cover a shift at some point.

Im feeling a mixture of everything possible, happy and excited but also scared and nervous, sad at leaving everyone behind :( I hope this is all worth it