Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Quick mothers day makes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking functional things, or a photo album, but I can't come to any decisions.

What's everyone else making for their mamas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I knit my mum a tea cosy for Christmas and gave it to her with a new tea pot.
    I think it needs to be something transportable, and less breakable in this house! We have 2 sets of china because we break plates so easily!

Great idea though. Did it take long? I would have thought the shaping would have been difficult.
    The one I made for my mum took quite a while as it's covered in roses that had to be done individually. But I did a different one for something else that was much quicker. See my ravelry pages for more details.
    The shaping is similar to a hat. I'm sure you could do it.
    Make a cake!! It's easy and cheap but it's still something that shows effort.
    Last year I bought a photo album and printed out photos of just me and my mum, she really liked it.
    I think I might pay for a photoshoot of me and mum if I can afford it because we have about 5 pics of us together and none are very nice!

I'd still like to make her something though...cake isn't a good idea after the great baking disaster of last weekend!!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I think I might pay for a photoshoot of me and mum if I can afford it because we have about 5 pics of us together and none are very nice!

I'd still like to make her something though...cake isn't a good idea after the great baking disaster of last weekend!!
    Try groupon for deals on photoshoots.
    I know enough local photographers now with doing make up on photo shoots I think I could get a good deal. I'd want to do her make up as well, she keeps asking me to do it and I keep forgetting or not having the time to do it.
    Got any Aran/Worsted?

I'm making a pair of Fetching for my mum. Did the first one on Sunday and didn't take me too long :)
    Glad you didn't make that spelling mistake this time! :p

(can't do double pointed yet :( )
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Glad you didn't make that spelling mistake this time! :p

(can't do double pointed yet :( )

It's easier than it looks, I promise :)
    It's easier than it looks, I promise :)

I figured it would be a good idea to expand on this a bit:

Knitting with DPNs is just like knitting with straights. If you can knit back and forth, you can knit circular.

One thing I WILL say, though, is remember to always have your work growing towards you. I made that mistake with my first sock and ended up with a backwards heel because the pattern confused me a bit (luckily the top was ribbed, so I just started knitting the other direction once I'd realised I had 5 inside out rows!)