Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Need to eat but have no desire to

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the last week I have barely eaten. I'm overweight and have been dieting on and off for years with no results what so ever. I have extremely low self esteem and HATE how I look. I'm not starving myself, I just dont want to eat so I eat minimal amounts. However now I'm struggling with lethargy and the constant need to sleep. Uni work keeps me occupied for small periods of time. I would just like to know if anyone has any advice on helping me regain a more healthy diet as I know not eating will do no good for me. I'm worried that forcing myself to eat normally will cause me to make myself sick again, which I have done in the past. :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi TheScientist :wave:,

How are doing this evening ? :) You say that for the last week you have barely eaten and that you have felt lethargic and are sleeping a lot of the time, you need food for energy and if you are not taking in enough nutrition throughout the day you will be feeling very tired. If you are wanting to lose weight the best way is to have three healthy low fat meals a day or five smaller low fat meals throughout the day. Exercise is also a very important part of losing weight and becoming more active will help.

You feel that forcing yourself to eat normally again will make you feel sick, so it may be best to try and increase you food intake gradually.

I hope this has been helpful and please keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.:thumb:.

Take Care,
    B.
    when you say "will cause me to make myself sick again" do you mean you are intentionally making yourself vomit after eating?

If so it sounds as though you might be starting to have problems with food - does any of this ring a bell? (I found that in the ever helpful TheSite Health and Wellbeing section)
    It may be a good idea to speak to your Doctor about what support they can provide for you to lose weight in a healthy way.
    I have a dietitian, and she has told me how to lose weight.
    She said that I should eat three reasonably big meals a day or I should eat five to six small meals a day, but always including breakfast and if I want to have something later in the evening, it is recommended to be the latest of 9pm.
    While eating healthily, she told me not to cut out everything that is 'junk', but to have a small treat everyday, whether it be a chocolate bar, a bag of crisps or a bottle of pepsi.
    I hope I have helped in some way :)
    I've been through phases of having no appetite and it's worth getting checked out by your GP for things like glandular fever and such.

Try little and often - reduce your sugar intake and avoid anything that might make you feel sick - so anything too rich. I lived off noodle soups for a while and a friend of mine also suggested ginger chews (chewy crystallised ginger) which can help with the nausea. Anything minty can also help. Smoothies are also really good, and maybe try a handful of nuts and/or dried fruit here and there