Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Walking Around in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So I am a country bumpkin and I am going to London in April. My friend wants to meet me in Oxford Street from Euston but said it would be best to get the underground (it is a distance of 1.3 miles according to google earth) and she said it would take the best part of an hour to get that far on foot.

Without saying she is a nutter or a liar, is there any truth in it taking that long to go so short a distance? Is there something I don't know about that makes you travel at 1mph on foot in London?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Londoners have a funny attitude to travelling by foot, or at least the ones from further out do. London is really not that big and walking that would take you about 20-30 minutes. It takes a little longer because you have to wait at more pedestrian crossings.

The only thing I'd point out is that Oxford Street is a very long road: it's a good 20 minute walk from one end to the other. Suddenly a 1.2 mile walk could be a 3 mile walk depending on where you're meeting.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :lol:

Your friend is exaggerating but I think lots of people get out of the habit of walking in London (massive over-reliance on the tube) and don't realise it's often quicker than they imagine.

Taking a direct route to your destination it should take about 20 minutes if you walk really fast and about 40 if you plod along taking in the sights and potentially get stuck behind slow walking people. ;)

Anyhow, http://www.walkit.com is your friend in this situation (as recommended to me by Randomgirl many moons ago) as well as giving you directions, it tells you all sorted of useful information about what to expect on route.

Hope that helps. :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Londoners have a funny attitude to travelling by foot, or at least the ones from further out do. London is really not that big and walking that would take you about 20-30 minutes. It takes a little longer because you have to wait at more pedestrian crossings.

The only thing I'd point out is that Oxford Street is a very long road: it's a good 20 minute walk from one end to the other. Suddenly a 1.2 mile walk could be a 3 mile walk depending on where you're meeting.

Doh - didn't see your post before I posted - I pretty much have just said the same thing! SnuggleBubbles the timings I've given are pretty much accurate if you're going from station to station.
  • Options
    Thanks very much guys, and that link is great Helen! (and by proxy, Randomgirl) and I will also make totally sure of the route I need to take :)
  • Options
    :) love walkit.com