Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stitches in vagina

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have stitches in my vagina at the moment following surgery on Thursday of the week before last. I assume they are dissolvable as they didn't mention anything about getting them removed. I can still feel them though. I just wondered what sort of time scale I'm looking at if anyone else has been stitched up vaginally?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    perhaps try NHS Direct? they'd be able to give you better advice.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Randomgirl,

It's best to ask the hospital that gave you the stitches as they will know what type they are and the estimated time that they will take to dissolve. Alternatively you could ask your GP or as brunettebarbie said you could call NHS Direct for advice.

There is this factsheet on NHS Choices about stitches that might help, but it does say that it varies from between a week or two right up to a couple of months to dissolve completely.

Have you got any follow-up appointments with the hospital or are you planning on seeing your GP soon?

LauraO
    Generally internal stitches are soluble ones, and they'll usually take more than a week to go completely. (If you stop prodding them, the wound will heal better).

As others have said, NHS direct, your GP or the place that put them in should be able to give you an exact answer.
    Thanks. I'm seeing the GP tomorrow. I'll try not to prod them.
    If you try and have a bath with a small ammount of tea tree and lavender oil ( around 10 drops) that can help them heal up
    Thanks I've got lavender oil so I'll try that when I can face the bath. I've not washed since Friday so smell now. I've not changed my clothes since Saturday so probably bad for the hygiene side of things. And then I went and self harmed again last night so probably undid the good that the stitches are doing anyway. But not bleeding at the moment so I'm guessing that's a good sign.