Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Risperidone/Mental health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just sort of wanted to up date people on what's going on... and ask about Risperidone.

Is anyone on it?
I'm starting tonight, still on 20mg of Prozac (the psych doctor wanted me on 40 but my mental health nurse said no, since being on 30 made me worse)
It's an anti-psychotic, so I'm guessing it'll stop my psychotic episodes? Does anyone have any experiences of it? Not really sure what it'll do to me.

They're considering admitting me to psych hospital if I'm still suicidal next week I think. I've also been referred to the "Urgent Help" team (sort of like a crisis team I guess) who I'm meeting on Wednesday with my nurse. They're going to visit me twice a week at home I think.
Been in A&E twice this week (Wednesday and today) and have had stitches and xrays and eurrrggghh :( I had a meeting on Wednesday while in A&E with the CAMHS team leader, my nurse and a social worker, and my dad. My dad came down to pick me up on wednesday and took me to his for a bit. Got home Saturday. Haven't been to school since last tuesday. It's all a big mess really. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm starting tonight, still on 20mg of Prozac (the psych doctor wanted me on 40 but my mental health nurse said no, since being on 30 made me worse)

what do you mean more of it i.e 30mg, made you 'worse'?
    Longer psychotic episodes and more self harm, and increased suicidal thoughts. I got lowered on Wednesday by the team manger after my hospital visit.
    oh right.

Have you ever been on an anti-psychotic before?
    No, which is why I'm not really sure what it does. Only started on prozac in January so I'm pretty new to meds
    I was on risperidone since 2009 until a few weeks ago and loved it.

What dose are you going to be taking?
    I was on 1mg for 6 months for night terrors and "invasive thoughts" 4 years ago. Thats a pretty low dose but it makes you put on sooooo much weight. I was 9 st when I started taking it, and lets say I'm a reasonable amount more than that now!

Other than that, I can't say much for it, I zombiefied me, didn't help with the night terrors or invasive thoughts but that doesn't mean it won't help you.
    I'm on 1mg at the moment but next week they're upping it to 2mg I think (one in the morning and one at night)
    To be honest I don't want to be on meds any more. They make me feel like shit and I've had enough. I woke up more than 10 times last night, was really dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out. Don't want to be on meds.
    I'm on 1mg at the moment but next week they're upping it to 2mg I think (one in the morning and one at night)
    To be honest I don't want to be on meds any more. They make me feel like shit and I've had enough. I woke up more than 10 times last night, was really dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out. Don't want to be on meds.
    The side effects are a lot worse in the first couple of weeks. Try to stick with it. I took 1mg at first, then 2mg for a couple of years and then went up to 3mg. I found it really helpful, I hope you do too. It helped with paranoia, mania, thoughts being all over the place, sleep easier etc.