Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Quitting Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im in my second year of a four year degree, and i want to quit, i have felt like i wanted to quit since the end of first year. I am studying nutrition and dietetics and i realised that i have no interest in this i do not want to tell people what they should or shouldnt eat, i have no motivation to do to do the work, and i do not enjoy uni life it is not for me! im just not sure what i want to do if i do quit? is it wise to quit or not?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well if you are really uninterested in the course then it might be worth quitting, but have you talked to anyone about this, either friends on the course or the tutors? It could be that you may be able to start doing something else, or if there are issues with the course they may be able to be sorted out.
    If you don't like doing the course now, would it be worth the money or time for you to continue and getting something useless at the end? Speak to your student services to give you better guidance and advice so you can come to a conclusion of what you want.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Joy2 and welcome to TheSite,

It sounds as though you are having a dilemma about whether to continue with a course that you have started and invested over a year in but don't enjoy. Four years is a long time to spend studying something you are not enjoying, and if you're not really getting the most out of student life either then perhaps it is a good idea to explore all your other options so you can weigh it all up and come to a decision that is best for you.

G-Raffe and JavaKyrpt have given you some good advice about speaking to friends and the University.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    have you talked to anyone about this, either friends on the course or the tutors? It could be that you may be able to start doing something else, or if there are issues with the course they may be able to be sorted out.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Speak to your student services to give you better guidance and advice so you can come to a conclusion of what you want.

Have you had a chat with the careers department, the course administrator, your tutor, your parents or friends yet? Starting a conversation about your options and talking it through with others may help you to start to understand what you really want.

There are lots of options such as changing course, taking some time-off uni such as a year out, quitting uni altogether and looking for other study options or getting a job. We have lots of useful articles on TheSite that might be worth looking at, in particular these ones: The wrong course and University alternatives.

It's important to make sure you're happy and are following a path that will lead you to a career you are interested in :) so thinking it all through thoroughly and weighing up the pros and cons for the different options will help.

Hope that helps, please do let us know how you get on,

LauraO
    Hi thank you all for your replies, yes I have spoken to my course tutor about not being happy at uni, and I have spoken to my closest friends about it, I think its just about exploring my other options, which is the bit I am finding hard. I will look at the links you have put up lauraO and any other advice would be great.
    Hi guys,

I have spoken to the student advisors and my tutor at uni so I am aware of all my options and have been given some encouragement, yet I am still unable to make a decision, I know what it is that I want to do (quit uni), but that goes against any of the advice I have been given, and I am scared what I want to do is the wrong decision and I will not be able to get a job. Should I go with my feelings or should I listen to those who have hindsight in their favour?
    Before you decide work out why you want to quit. Is it something that can be fixed?

If you're ill or depressed can you take some time out and come back? If you're lonely are there any societies you can get involved in? If you don't understand the work can you get support? If you hate the course can you change?

If you decide after all that that you want to quit then you should. It won't affect your ability to get a job, although obviously graduate roles will not be open to you. If you decide to come back, you should still get funding depending on what year of your course you are in. If you want to go to another university it shouldn't affect your application chances.
    You could see if there is a way to leave and preserve the work you've done so far. That way, if you realise it's been a mistake all is not lost.

Even if not, it's no shame to go to uni and decide it's not right for you. It's just one way of going about things and not right for everyone. I loved everything about it, but know people who didn't and were glad they'd stopped it, changed it, or just never tried it.

I would recommend having a job to go into, quitting uni without somewhere to go can leave you in an awkward position with housing and finance, so if you can go and grab yourself some employment somewhere you want to be, then you can move forward with some more confidence.