Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A little profile help please...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but what is the best way to get some help at identifying the strengths and weaknesses of my Plenty of Fish online dating?

I could do with some opinions, so is it best for me just to post it here or do it through private messages?

Many thanks...

Comments

• LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Wavyglanbles,

You are more than welcome to post on here about your online dating, and the relationships forum is the best place to do it :thumb:.

If there is a specific part of your profile you want feedback on why not paste the text here and people can give their opinions?

There have been quite a few conversations here on the boards in the past about online dating and how to write a good profile. Franki in particular gave some great advice to Mr Ferrari09 here on the first few pages that might be helpful to you too. There is also this post from Goodfella about getting started with online dating where others give their tips.

We also have some hints and tips about online dating etiquette and pulling online on TheSite which are definitely worth reading.

I know you have posted about online dating before, and **Helen** gave you some good pointers about things you can do offline as well that will increase your opportunities to meet new people, and to make you feel happy and confident with yourself. She suggested volunteering, social part-time job and doing other things that you enjoy (hobbies). Did you give any of these ideas any thought?

Hope this helps to start with and please do let us know more specifically what you want to get feedback on :thumb:

LauraO
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you for replying back Laura.

This is my profile anyway: http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=18467941
    It's just advice about photos & what I've written I mainly need.

I did get some great advice from Helen, and I am looking to do more activities outside of work like yoga, salsa dancing, and photography; the latter with this girl who i know already who's a good friend of mine.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated

:)
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    No worries, hopefully you'll get some advice from others :)
    I am looking to do more activities outside of work like yoga, salsa dancing, and photography; the latter with this girl who i know already who's a good friend of mine.

:thumb: sounds like a great idea to me, not only will you meet more people, you'll get to spend more time with your friend and will be doing things you enjoy and will keep you fit, all of which have loads of benefits.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was on online dating sites for a couple of years, and in that time I saw an awful lot of profiles. Looking at yours, one thing that is good is that you've listed plenty of interests. But at the same time, your profile looks like so many other men's profiles that legitimate women may have a hard time seeing you as "wow, he's really different!"

It's not that your profile is bad, because it's not. But dating sites can have ten men for every one woman who is "real" and not just trying to get your credit card number. That means you really have to stand out.

Your main photo looks terrific. The two that come after it resemble mug shots, in my opinion. You also speak about things you are working toward, rather than what you're doing right now. That would make me think "he's just a dreamer with nothing going on."

An article I wrote at http://jellygator.hubpages.com/hub/Online-Dating-Faux-Pas may give you some ideas that could liven up your profile, if you're interested in reading it.

Best wishes for finding that special lady in your life!