Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Leasehold properties?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

We have been saving like mad trying to get about 4-5 k together to hopefully get on a shared ownership deal.

This seems to be the only way we will get on the ladder and we hope to be able to do this somethime next year if all goes to plan!

Ive got a big concern now though, I have come to terms with the fact that we would have to pay a service charge forever but this term "leasehold" is somewhat confusing, to my knowledge i thought being in a lease would of meant that there are certain regulations in place such as no bbqs on balconys etc.

Someone told me now that a leasehold is a property you will never own outright.

Lets say for example the lease is for 200 years, at the end of that 200 years the property goes back to the ultimate landlord and my great great great granchild will be on the street?

Is that right or have i been misinformed?

Thanks

Betty :wave:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wow, that seems ridiculous, Im not doing that... Id rather save more and get a freehold, what is the point of "investing" in a property and then having to give it back after 100 years???

Thanks for the link :)
    yes, but with flats etc, theres usually no way round it.

Its better to buy freehold if you can
    Thats just really dissapointed me, my way to get on the ladder has been destroyed :crying:

I cant compute paying so much money on a flat and finally paying it off in 25 years time and then knowing that your stay is limited and in 70 or 200 years the landlord will take it back?

I want to leave a place for my Son so I'll struggle on in the hope that maybe the market will pick up and a 95% mortgage scheme will develop in the future???

Fingers crossed.

:thumb:
    there is very little chance that a flat you buy now, youll want forever. You just sell it on
    What SSC said. Chances are you'll move before the leasehold is up.
    So i guess if i make sure the lease is a long lease then i can always sell the part i do own, for example 25% in 7 years time.

Thats another good option, thanks you two :)

Youve made it sound attractive again, i could sell my percentage and use that chunk of money to get another mortgage on a place i really like in the right area and that is the right size....