Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fingerprinting at US airports, minor criminal record, pls help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband and I are flying to Miami this year and then staying in Florida for about 7 weeks. About 7 years ago I was convicted of drink driving and paid the fine straight away. About 3 years ago my husband was given a fine for indecent exposure to a policeman - he was really drunk (visiting his mates at home in Scotland) and thought he was Jim Morrison!!!! The fine was £80 but for some reason he never paid it..I think it was because he never received a letter from them, which is no excuse but also, he just didn't bother paying it! He was living in London at the time and gave his London address. We have now moved back to Scotland. When we go through immigration/customs and they ask us to give our fingerprints will our records come up on their system? Does the US immigration database contain all UK criminal records? It seems so petty. This is really worrying us. Thank you J

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    From what I've heard, no it doesn't, and they basically rely on you to declare a criminal record to them (if you have one, they won't let you in, apparently). So lie.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'm sure if you've got a criminal record you're meant to go to the US embassy to apply for a visa, something I've heard they'll most likely refuse.
    If you fill in the Visa waiver honestly on the plane you'll most likely get turned around and put on the next plane home.
    If you do either of these and are refused it'll also mean you're banned from entering the US for life.

If you don't declare your convictions on the waiver, you'l probably have no problems so that is what I would do. Don't worry about the finger prints, it's not to check against a UK database for pretty crimes. I'd take the cahnce.
    Weekender Offender 
    Thanks Sciver, I've read lots on the internet about it and it has made me even more scared. The basic problem is if when we put out fingerprints in the machine at the airport, the history comes up. What a nightmare! It's all so bloomin stupid. x
    Are those actually criminal record charges?

Were your prints and mug shot taken?
    Jaineliza wrote: »
    Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband and I are flying to Miami this year and then staying in Florida for about 7 weeks. About 7 years ago I was convicted of drink driving and paid the fine straight away. About 3 years ago my husband was given a fine for indecent exposure to a policeman - he was really drunk (visiting his mates at home in Scotland) and thought he was Jim Morrison!!!! The fine was £80 but for some reason he never paid it..I think it was because he never received a letter from them, which is no excuse but also, he just didn't bother paying it! He was living in London at the time and gave his London address. We have now moved back to Scotland. When we go through immigration/customs and they ask us to give our fingerprints will our records come up on their system? Does the US immigration database contain all UK criminal records? It seems so petty. This is really worrying us. Thank you J

Not wanting to alarm you but if your husband never paid the fine there is a possibility that he will be shown as wanted on the PNC which I believe is checked when entering and leaving the country.....
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    budda wrote: »
    Are those actually criminal record charges

Yes.

It might be worth calling the embassy to find what the scor is, but don't give them your name. Technically you are meant to apply for a visa rather than use the visa waiver form if you have ever been arrested, but US customs do not have a database of everybody that's ever been arrested around the world.
    You will get photographed and fingerprinted as you enter the US, but I'm sure that's just routine for everybody.

If I were you I'd just tick no to everything especially the genocide part - I'm not sure but I would gues that's a definate refusal. :D

i-94w_excerpt.jpg
    Weekender Offender 
    Do you think anyone actually ticks yes?
    Thanks very much, it's a great help. We actually realised we had a friend who knew the ins and outs of stuff like this and he said that we will be fine as well so your email was correct. Thanks very much for this x
    My step-brother has been charged with possesion of illegal drugs, he just did a visa waiver and ticked no to everything and had no problems.
    Outcome?

It's been a while since this was posted, but please say the outcome, i'm in a similar boat. Thanks!
    You'll need to be a bit more specific about your problem and we'll try and help.
    Hey there kdelonge,

Welcome to the boards!
    Thanks for posting. We don't generally like bringing up old threads from a long time ago so I'm going to close this thread now. But please start a new one with details of the issues you're having and we'll be more than happy to help. If you're not sure how to do this, please see our FAQ pages - http://vbulletin.thesite.org/faq.php
    ....or feel free to send me a private message.

Happy posting! :)
This discussion has been closed.