Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who would you complain to..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
about someone who broke the Disability Discrimination Act ? or whatever it's called now, i think it changed recently.

Cut a VERY long story as short as i can.

I have a list of 27 complaints against various staff at my local GUM clinic. Went through the normal complaints procedure with the hospital, they said 'we haven't done anyhting wrong, tough titties'. This included a misdiagnosis by a consultant that a 2nd consultant picked up straight away, having a p[anic attack (which involved me curled up in a ball crying my face off in the receptiona rea and no less that 9 staff walking past not offering help) a few other 'amjor' things and some others, any hoo i digress. Thsi is all now going through my MP then onto the ombudsman.

I saw a consultant in Dec, he asked how i was, i said i was sick of the way people treat me like fucking shit here. He said 'that's nothing to do with me, i don't want to know about it' ( bearing in mind GMC guidelines state that "if a patient feels their care is poor or being compromised their doctor has a 'duty' to intervene") and i went off on one. Swering shouting etc. Didnt hiot anyone or threaten anyone with physical violence (verbally or physically).

So, we're getting to the numb.

This absolut CUNT of a matron (who incidentally is the most ignorant bitch i have ever met, talks over you when you're trying to explain things, say 'yes ill sort that' to shut you up when you haven't told her what you want/need) gives me a yellow card for said incident.

Now, my point is. I get angry/swear be cause of my mental health. Before i was ill i was quite a reasonable, not too angry peep but for the last few years (personality disorder) my anger (when its roused) is pretty shit. So i have been threatend with the removal of treatment because of my disablity. Are people in casualty who swear because they are in apin/have a painful treatment threatetend like this ? Are people in psychiatric units constantly given yellow cards for swearing ? (no, coz ive been in one) Are pregnant women banned from hospital for swearing during labour ? No, thay all have in common pain and stress (maybe somethign else i dont see) so as you can see im really pissed off Little Miss Fuckface has given me a warning.

There's no point going to the hospital, they're not arsed. I am not having that sanctimonious, inefficient, 2 faced (told a load of lies to leagh), unprofessional, arrogant fuckwit give me a warning, so who should i contact ?

Comments

• Options
    Are you getting any treatment for your mental health at the moment?

It sounds potentially like one of the best routes to go down may be to get some support from whoever is looking after that - and get the issue noted on your file for others to be aware of.

While the latest version of the discrimination act means you are entitled to access to medical treatment, the staff who treat you are also entitled to feel safe and unthreatened in their place of work. The difference between your behaviour and that of some of those you're trying to use for reference is that while the language may be the same, from someone in pain, or in labour it's generally not directed at an individual - whereas in your case it is. That doesn't automatically mean you should be denied treatment by any stretch of the imagination - but it does mean that you're not really comparing like with like.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey RubberSkin :wave:

Sorry to hear about all the problems and negative attitudes you have had to put with with from staff at the GUM clinic recently, it's no wonder you feel angry and want to ensure someone listens to your complaints.

Scary Monster makes a good suggestion about mentioning this to any support workers you have at the moment; is there anyone you could raise it with?

It sounds as though you have already tried to complain following the correct procedures at the hospital but this has not got you anywhere so far. Have you seen this article on GUM clinics - your rights from an organisation called chapsonline? I think it gives a good guide to follow for logging a complaint.

It sounds as though you have already tried the first two suggestions - speak to a member of staff and ask to see the official complaints procedure. So the next step would be to put it in writing, have you done this?

If you have tried all the above then it's definitely worth finding out whether your hospital has a PALS service which you can find out by searching here.

If you do not have a PALS in your hosptial you may consider calling the Patients Assocation Helpline as recommended by FPA (bottom of the article :))

Lastly, there is a useful page 'How to complain' on the NHS website with information about your rights and some other suggestions for ways to make your complaint such as contacting your Local Primary Care Trust, contacting the ombudsman (which it seems you are already doing :thumb:) or calling the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service in your area.

That's quite a lot of links to look at and routes to go down, but the first point of call should probably be the clinic itself. Perhaps it's worth talking to someone at the clinic again or writing them a formal letter of complaint explaining how you feel? There is also the option of finding a new GUM clinic, but this all depends on what is available in your local area.

I hope that helps and you can get this resolved soon,

LauraO
  • Options
    well SM as far as pyschi units go, yes, staff are the targets for abuse and the patients don't get warnings. I appreciate the things you say but i've heard 'our staff have the right....' so many fucking times now. It's all they hide behind. Not having a go at you, ofc. :)

Why did i get angry ? Because my consultant was not interested in helping about the shoddy care i was receiving.

Why did i go OTT ? Because i'm mentally ill/unstable.

I can't see how i'm in the wrong.

It seems, to me, that the hospital won't admit any failings because of those 2 words - negligence and liability. This isn't about suing the hospital, im not going to, it's about people not doing their job properly and no one giving a fuck about a mentally ill, terminally ill person being given no respect, care or dignity they deserve as anyone else should receiving treatment.

It's no wonder things like Stafford Hospital are allowed to happen. I can't remember who said it but someone used the phrase 'A culture of complacency in the NHS'. Its so true.
  • Options
    oh and thanks for the info Laura
  • Options
    I would suggest PALS a well.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    oh and thanks for the info Laura

No worries, let us know how you get on with it :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    well SM as far as pyschi units go, yes, staff are the targets for abuse and the patients don't get warnings. I appreciate the things you say but i've heard 'our staff have the right....' so many fucking times now. It's all they hide behind. Not having a go at you, ofc. :)

Why did i get angry ? Because my consultant was not interested in helping about the shoddy care i was receiving.

Why did i go OTT ? Because i'm mentally ill/unstable.

I can't see how i'm in the wrong.

It seems, to me, that the hospital won't admit any failings because of those 2 words - negligence and liability. This isn't about suing the hospital, im not going to, it's about people not doing their job properly and no one giving a fuck about a mentally ill, terminally ill person being given no respect, care or dignity they deserve as anyone else should receiving treatment.

It's no wonder things like Stafford Hospital are allowed to happen. I can't remember who said it but someone used the phrase 'A culture of complacency in the NHS'. Its so true.

But you can't expect to go off on one and get away with it, because you have MH issues.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    But you can't expect to go off on one and get away with it, because you have MH issues.

Oh, so if you ran a psychiatric unit, you've constatly give people warnings for swearing then kick them out, even though that's part of there MH issues ? It is well know that anger is a symptom of many mental illnesses.

I'm not expecting to 'get away with it'. There's a whole catalogue of incompetence, compalcency and misdiagnosis behind it all. I will not be given a warning for losing my temper because of the shockingly appauling care i've been given. NO one, NOT ONE SINGLE member of staff has been issued with a warning, guidance, training over the complaints i've raised. And these aren't trivial matters, they're serious. For example, i have told 5 seperate nurses that i had run out of medication and all 5 did nothing about it. I am now resistant to the combination i was on and it has cut about 5 years off my life. And no one has been reprimaneded ????
  • Options
    Oh and i would like to say, i did ask for some advice on a particular matter. If all people want to do is pick holes in my posts can you please FUCK OFF to another thread.