Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Other People's Weddings.... Abroad.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all

Was just wondering on everybody elses views on this....

Is it just me or do you find other peoples weddings abroad increadibly selfish? I know its their big day an all but the fact their guests have to pay out a shed load of money to be there is not really fair. I'll explain why I feel this way...

My and my boyfriend are currently renting a 1 bedroom flat and we can just about afford it along with all the bills on our current salarys. One day soon (maybe next year) we are hoping to save up and get a place of our own but first of course we need to save for a down payment and all the fees involved in getting a mortgage.

My boyfriends best mate is in the same situation as us but has just got engaged to his girlfriend but rather than them wanting to save for a house they want to save for their wedding. They want to get married in Vegas next year and my boyfriend is the best man. We hardly have any money and the money that we do get we were going to put towards saving for our house but now all of a sudden we have to save up thousands and thousands of pounds to be able to attend this wedding!

I understand he is the best man so he has to be there but I really truely belive that his mate should offer to pay for his flights & hotel if he wants him there. I totaly understand that I will have to pay for myself which is fine, but I think the best man should be paid for by the couple as hes essential to their wedding and its not cheap at all to get to the USA and back. Basically I'm a bit upset now because any money we now save is going towards paying for this wedding rather than our future and I guess I'm a little bitter about that fact.

Why should our lives have to be put on hold because THEY want to get married in Vegas???? If me and my bf were rich and had the spare cash then it wouldn't be a problem but we really don't have the money and anything spare we were going to save towards our mortgage one day. But thats all down the drain now as we need to save at least 3 grand for this wedding.

We were even considering moving out of our 1 bedroom flat and into a room in a shared house to be able to save more money so we can get a mortgage one day, thats how much we need the money, but that just seems pointless now if we are going to blow the money going to Vegas :(

I feel like a bitch feeling this way cus its their big day and I want them to be happy but me and my boyfriend need to move on with our lives as well and we can't do this whilst we have to pay to go to this wedding!

Comments

• Options
    My opinion on that matter. It's selfish, yea, but it's their wedding day, so it is supposed to be selfish, because it's about them and if you don't like it, you don't have to be a part of it.

Now your boyfriend is supposed to be the best man. If he doesn't have the money (that means, even if it's physically there, but supposed to go somewhere else, like for a mortgage), he has to tell his mate he doesn't have it and can't go. If he wants to go though, this is now a dispute between you and him.
    Two options arise. Either he won't go to the wedding, or his mate pays at least parts. Now three more possibilities arise:
    1. The guy getting married understands and looks for another best man: OK

2. he pays: Ok

3. He gets angry and accuses your boyfriend of ruining their special day: he can go eat a dick
  • Options
    when people arrange a wedding abroad, they KNOW that most people wont be able to make it. fact.

if you cant afford it, dont go.

I dont think its particularly selfish, unless they really truly havent considered that a lot of people wont be able to afford it.
  • Options
    when people arrange a wedding abroad, they KNOW that most people wont be able to make it. fact.

I would say they SHOULD know that most people won't be able to come. If you are so starry eyed that you blow your whole money on a wedding in Vegas instead of a place to live, I'd argue you are shortsighted enough to be pissed off if people cannot come.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    My opinion on that matter. It's selfish, yea, but it's their wedding day, so it is supposed to be selfish, because it's about them and if you don't like it, you don't have to be a part of it.

Now your boyfriend is supposed to be the best man. If he doesn't have the money (that means, even if it's physically there, but supposed to go somewhere else, like for a mortgage), he has to tell his mate he doesn't have it and can't go. If he wants to go though, this is now a dispute between you and him.
    Two options arise. Either he won't go to the wedding, or his mate pays at least parts. Now three more possibilities arise:
    1. The guy getting married understands and looks for another best man: OK

2. he pays: Ok

3. He gets angry and accuses your boyfriend of ruining their special day: he can go eat a dick

Pretty much this.
  • Options
    Their wedding, they pay for the Best Man's costs, including the Best Man's partner - flight and hotel. Anything else, including meals, is for you to find.
  • Options
    I would say they SHOULD know that most people won't be able to come. If you are so starry eyed that you blow your whole money on a wedding in Vegas instead of a place to live, I'd argue you are shortsighted enough to be pissed off if people cannot come.

generally getting married abroad, is much cheaper than getting married in the UK. Thats a major reason a lot of people do it. Vegas weddings are cheap
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yup, cheap wedding and honeymoon all in one.

It's as simple as said above - your boyfriend has to talk to his mate and explain the situation. He can either like it or lump it.
  • Options
    i think if you get married abroad you can't expect people to be abLE to afford IT. You can ask people to be involved and you can ask them to attend, but ultimately you have to understand that some people can't afford it end of , and not make people feel obligated to do what you want. Some people just don't understand other peoples financial situations.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies guys...

The guy whos wedding it is KNOWS our situation. But the thing that is getting to me is that he has not even offered to pay or even go havles and just expects my partner to pay out for this.

The main problem is that they have been friends for years and are more like brothers than mates, so my boyfriend has just accecpted the fact we are going to have to pay without any fight whatsoever. I can totaly understand where he is coming from in the fact he wants to stand by his best mate and support him but I'm really not happy about it.

I think maybe my anger is being aimed in the wrong direction, I'm angry at the couple for wanting a Vegas wedding (when its their right at the end of the day) rather and being mad at my bf for happily going along with it and not being bothered about the fact that money is meant to be for our future.... I think hes putting his mate before our life together. Am I wrong to feel upset/angry/bitter about this?

Whenever I mention it to him he says that they have given us over a years warning to save up and what is he meant to do? Not go?

I feel like there is not sort of comprimise with this and its really getting me. 3 grand is a LOT of money for us and could do so much for our future rather than wasting it all going to shitty Vegas! :(
  • Options
    i think you should back down tbh. Your bf obviously wants to go and is happy about paying for it. If you dont want to go, then dont
  • Options
    i think you should back down tbh. Your bf obviously wants to go and is happy about paying for it. If you dont want to go, then dont

I can't back down on this. Our life together and our home is more important than their wedding. I'm not going to carry on throwing money down the drain renting when we could be saving for a mortgage.

I prob won't end end up going as its a waste of money to be honest and I don't mind that he wants to go but it all boils down to money at the end of the day.

He needs to get his prioritys straight.
  • Options
    Thier wedding is just one day in their lives, I need that money for our future, our home, and I think thats more important than some tacky Vegas wedding to be honest. I feel like a bitch saying this but I feel its a total waste of money.
  • Options
    Looking at this from a different angle. If it's a huge dilemma that two working people pay 3k with a years advance of knowing for the spouse's best friend's (bro's) wedding, you maybe should not sink all your money into a joint mortgage, if money is such a huge issue. Does your boyfriend earn more money than you, and are you supposed to split the mortgage cost 50-50? If yes, maybe your boyfriend can go alone if you are so against the idea of spending your money.
    ±Lover± wrote: »

He needs to get his prioritys straight.

Does he need to get HIS priorities straight or YOUR priorities? I don't know about their friendship, but if my best friend wants to marry abroad and want me to be his best man, I'd probably go, even if it means I am broke then.
  • Options
    Looking at this from a different angle. If it's a huge dilemma that two working people pay 3k with a years advance of knowing for the spouse's best friend's (bro's) wedding, you maybe should not sink all your money into a joint mortgage, if money is such a huge issue.

A joint mortgage is an investment into someones' future. Your friends
    wedding isn't. That £3k could be the difference between getting a deposit together and not being to.
  • Options
    *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hi there

It sounds like you're already getting some varied and good advice from your fellow board users. And also, getting the chance to vent about an understandably hugely frustrating situation Old Mad :banghead: :mad: Feel free to keep venting about how tacky/thoughtless/pointless/selfish this wedding idea is here if you need to.

I was just going to ask if you've spoken to your boyfriend about how you feel? It seems like, from your posts, that it's him you're more angry at perhaps? For what you see as him choosing someone else's wedding over saving for your future? And maybe you need some reassurance that your future together is as important to him as it is to you? Does that sound right?

It's obviously not his fault that he's been put into this awkward situation. However, it might be worth talking to him about how it makes you feel. Talking about money can sometimes be difficult but as long as you stay away from accusationary phrases such as "you're picking their marriage over our future" and change them to things like "I feel upset that this wedding is going to affect our ability to save for a mortgage - what do you think?" it should go smoothly. That way you may be able to find a compromise that keeps you both happy?
  • Options
    why is it going to be 3k? couldnt he compromise it and not stay for the whole time, or in a cheaper hotel or something?
  • Options
    i dont think its a case of choosing his friends wedding over your future, but if youve got that in your head, its probably difficult to change your mind.

Sometimes you have to back down even if you dont like it, because its not really up to you if he goes to his best mates wedding, or it shouldnt be. Even if it takes you longer to save your deposit, at least you wouldnt be asking him to do something he might regret for a long time.
  • Options
    This is probably a really silly question, but where did the £3k figure spring from? Particularly with booking a long time in advance, I'd be surprised if it would actually be so expensive. Looking at flights now for this August (only 6 months ahead) SkyScanner is coming up with £860 returns. How long would you be going for? You also could look for cheaper accommodation whilst you're over there. If you're not keen on the idea full stop, fair enough, but if it's mainly the money angle that's irritating you, how about looking into how it could be done on a smaller budget?