Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

citalopram better then worse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:( Right sorry if goes on try to keep short.I am male 42yo pressures at work broke down in meeting with another manager.sought docs advice citalopram 40g daily.All side effects anxiety,sweats,sick,hunger,over eating, 1st month then steady improvements over next 5 months.Great drug recommend to stick with it for 1st month life was on the up till 2 weeks ago. Extra pressures at work internal investigations etc (thank god not me cooking the books).Fell apart back to how i was 5months ago anger/depressed etc.(even still on medication) but worse Wife knows nothing about all of this:shocking: .Two people at work are aware.And two best mates. But gets worse (can you believe it). Started to scratch my arms its become like a detatched from me thing.so intent on my thoughts dont realise i do it.Have some nasty marks on both forearms and the company car needs a new steering wheel!
I have a chance to receive counselling Take it.Or shall i come clean to wife/family/work and hope i return to my happier place? The things that frighten me are people at work wont know how to treat me if it "goes live" in my workplace.Wife will worry. Family will be constantly asking how are you. (if you have seen the ad on tv recently at present i could do all those things) Thanks

Comments

• Options
    First things first, 40mg of citalopram is quite a high dose and normally is not meant to be used like that for long periods of time - talk to your GP to see if theres something that might suit you better.

Secondly, you need to talk to your wife, most of all so you have another person to talk to and can feel less like you're keeping secrets. I would also take the councelling option as well and see how the combination of that and a revised medication helps you.
  • Options
    I'm on citalopram and to be honest, I don't mind telling people about if, if they ask.

Everyone was able to recognise I had lost my mojo recently due to some very difficult circumstances landing on my lap at one time, and they're far happier that I am almost back to my old self, even if it does mean I'm on pills.

Mental health needs to be accepted in society as a normal illness in at least one stage in everyone's life. Keeping it secret just puts added pressure on you. It would have been better if you'd certainly been upfront with your wife - but rather late than never. :thumb:
  • Options
    I take citalopram and have recently had the dose reduced by 10 mg from 30 mg to 20 mg.

The psychiatrist said it can cause anxiety.

Mental health problems affect many people.