Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bleeding while on the pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, ive been on the pill for nearly 3 years now, and ive been very regular apart from a 4-5 month gap recently, Ive come back on the pill now and take it every morning like before at the similar time, however this time ive been like spotting nearly every day and ive got to either use a tampon or wear a panty liner just incase :/ Im really concerned why im doing this and what reasons could be behind it. Its making life rather difficult and while having a sex i always bleed and leave a stain behind which is rather embarassing although my boyfriend is understanding anyway. Im going to make an appointment with the gum clinic where i get my pills from but just wanted to see if anyone else had been through this or had any advice or answers really.
Many Thanks
Jade
xxx

Comments

• Options
    *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hey Jade

Breakthrough bleeding on the pill is really common - although, understandably, really annoying. :grump:

Can I ask how long you've been back on the pill? Are you still in the first 3 months of going back on it?

I'm asking because we have two articles which cover this issue on TheSite - finding the right contraceptive pill and the pill:common side effects.

They explain that when your body is readjusting to the synthetic hormones of the pill, it can take 3 months for you body to behave itself/act normally - even though you've been on the pill before. Because you've had a break, it could be that your body went back to it's 'normal' hormones and now it's adjusting to your new 'pill hormones' and a common effect of this is breakthrough bleeding. It shouldn't last more than 3 months. And, though it's obviously v annoying, it sounds like your boyfriend is being very understanding.

Lynn Hearton, from the FPA is quoted in both articles, and says this:
    "Lynn says: "It's really normal for women to get breakthrough bleeding when they first start taking the pill because your body is getting used to the change in hormones. But if it continues after three months, check you are constant in taking the pill at the same time each day - even at the weekend when things get chaotic. This will ensure a constant level of hormones. Some people can get away with it, whereas others will be five minutes late and get breakthrough bleeding."

However, if it's been over 3 months since you've re-started taking it, then going to your clinic is a good idea. It may be worth going anyway just so you've got even more peace of mind and/or advice on different types of contraceptive.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, then feel free to keep posting.

Good luck with it.

Holly:wave: