Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Charge for GBH

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ill make it simple i am 18 years old and me and my 2 friends went to a club/pub for some ones 18th birthday i was reli drunk as my mum had left me that year and just thought drinking was the way to feel better. that night i was dancing with my friend and some bot knocks my pint of beer over we sorted things and he bought me a shot l8er on that night my friend comes running to me saying they are gonna jump me and my 2 friends at the end of the night i said i will have a chat with them but my friend said no fuck that go smash him up so me being reli drunk i did, i headbutted him and punched him a few times and then walked out of the pub/club. and now i have heard i broke his nose and eye socket bone i really didn't mean to hurt this kid that bad in fact didn't reli wanna hurt him at all. this is my 1st offense and i did not use any weapons or hit him when he was down i feel remorse as im not the fighting type and my mates edging it on didn't help either as i felt encouraged the next day when some1 told me what happened i then realized i need a new bunch of friends so i moved out of Essex and some were else but have no fount out police are looking for me in Essex what do i do and what sort of sentence am i looking at any help be great thanks

Comments

• Options
    any help or advis at what im looking at here as ive seen a few ppl post and have been givien great advise
  • Options
    Ask a solicitor or legal advisor.

You have come to an advice site and that is the advice I've given. I don't want to come across as a c**t when I say that if you didn't mean to hurt him, you would have walked away.
  • Options
    yes thats fine and well i no its no excuse i was drunk didnt rember hardley any of it and was edged on to do it i wudnt have done it if i was in my right frame of mind
  • Options
    crumpit206 wrote: »
    yes thats fine and well i no its no excuse i was drunk didnt rember hardley any of it and was edged on to do it i wudnt have done it if i was in my right frame of mind

If it's the first time, telling the prosecution the above *Might* help. If you've done it before, it'll probably make it worse.

But seriously, you were egged on to do it? No offence, but you need to grow up, and quickly.
  • Options
    okay thanks and yes thats why i have moved away from my mates and well wen your drunk u do not actually think what your gonna do before you do it but yes thanks
  • Options
    crumpit206 wrote: »
    okay thanks and yes thats why i have moved away from my mates and well wen your drunk u do not actually think what your gonna do before you do it but yes thanks

Being drunk is no excuse.
  • Options
    yesi no as i said i am remorse for my actions and have no idea what hadcome over me as this is the 1st fight of my life as i tend to avoid them and never get involvedand i putt my hands up to what happend as there is no excuse for such actions
  • Options
    The best explanation you could offer for giving someone a beating who didn't even lay a finger on you is that you felt threatened and acted on instinct out of fear, although if there's a load of witnesses who say you just walked up and attacked him without provocation that's obviously not going to be plausible...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    What spliffie said.

Play it out that you felt intimated and so were defending yourself, because the only way to play out a violent experience is that you were acting in self defense. Do not mention that you were drunk as it makes things worse.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I missed the bit about the police hunting for you. At some point, they will find you. If they have to come and get you, it will be at 3 in the morning whilst you're in bed, or whilst you're at uni/work in front of your mates, whenever it is done, it will be at the most inconvinient/embarassing time they can find. You'd probably also be denied bail and have to spend the time until your court date in prison.

Or you could hand yourself in.
  • Options
    Hey crumpit, welcome to TheSite :wave:

As you can see from some of the replies, being drunk won't stand up as an excuse, but it sounds to me as though you're pretty aware of that. There are always reasons behind our behaviour and you mentioned your mum leaving you last year and you feeling like alcohol has been kind of an escape from all that.. and as you know, alcohol can make a bad situation a lot worse :( I'm sorry to hear you've been going through a rough time, good on you for making the move to get away and try and make a new start.

We're not legal experts so you're next step would be to try and get some professional legal advice in terms of finding out what sort of sentence you might face and how you should plea. For expert legal advice you can use our confidential and anonymous askTheSite service and you'll get a reply within 3 working days - you could send in something similar to what you have posted here.

You could also go to your local Citizens Advice (CAB) or take a look at the find a solicitor website: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

There's some info here on TheSite about going to court and your rights on arrest.

Posting here was a brave thing to do, what's happened can't be undone but how you deal with it going forward is what counts. Let us know how you're getting on :thumb:
  • Options
    okay great thanks for that and i will check all that out now thanks for your help
  • Options
    I'm not even going to offer advice, personally I think you should end up in prison, It is all your own fault yet you claim to happily blame being drunk or "egged" on by a mate as an excuse.
  • Options
    i wouldnt say im using it as an excuse as i no what i have done was wrong every1 has the sort of situations that happen and then realise what u have done every1 has fights and sometimes u get away with it and sometimes u do not like with mostly everything i am not a thug and patrol streets looking for fights i dont take drugs and do not steal i very rarley drink as i said this is the 1st fight of my life and if uthik i shud get punished then thats ur opinion and if i do i think it would totaly be unfair due to most people who go out looking for trouble and do not go down for it but as i said ur opinion thanks
  • Options
    And it is fair for the guy with a broken nose and eye socket,

So what if it is only once. You're an adult. Face up to your responsibilities and hand yourself in.