Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Giving blood

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it just like when they take blood for a blood test but on a larger scale? :)

Pretty much.
    Birmingham has a dedicated blood donation center in town. The website should give several location options when you put in your postcode. I don't donate as much as i should but have dropped in a few times whilst shopping. I have given blood on average twice a year between ages 16-22 and then a few times when i moved to Birmingham. It is on my 'to do' list this year.
    im eligibel and donate when i can but it always seems to take months to get an appointmentw hen the letter somes through - i was eligible around xmas time and got an appointment for April!
    Niki, are you in the UK?
    I did want to give when I was at uni. Unfortunately, they weren't sure whether I could donate due to medication.

I should be ok (just) to give blood now. Will find out when there's a session next.
    I don't like needles, so with the amount of people willing to do it, I skip out on the queue.

If stocks were running low and they needed more people to do it desperately though, I would.

ATM they never run out of blood, they just need to have a fresh supply because it's constantly being used and because it's constantly expiring too. Probably the majority of blood is thrown away.

I'm on the bone marrow and organ donor register, so yea.

I don't feel bad about not giving blood, as much as people feel entitled to make snide comments and/or suggest I should never receive a blood transfusion. Last time I went to give blood I was ineligible, and had a friend grilling me on WHY WHY WHY. As if it was any of their business.
    Is there anything I must do / must not do before and after they take blood? This is my first time.
    Don't skip any meals and drink lots of water before and after donating.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't like needles, so with the amount of people willing to do it, I skip out on the queue.

SB, I hate hate hate needles, when at the doctors getting vaccines I'm practically at a 45° angle before the nurse can get the needle to me as I just slowly lean away! But, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected (went for the first time earlier this month). I didn't feel a thing for the finger prick test and when they put the needle in I looked away and bit my tongue, didn't feel it! The worst part was either the waiting in the queue or walking 30mins home in the heavy rain.

Just wanted to clear that bit up with my experience :) But I understand not wanting too- took me ages to pluck up courage.
    Vaccines aren't as bad really as its over with so quickly. I think it's the idea of it. Nevermind though, if they need my blood and are happy to accept it, I'll go. But honestly they just need to keep telling people to go as a 'safety buffer' in case there's a big demand for it.

Organs on the other hand, well I can't get hit by a bus soon enough really, I would certainly give some people some very healthy juicy bits.