Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anxiety and panic attacks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have really bad anxiety at the moment and keep having panic attacks.

I am taking beta-blockers (propranolol) to slow my heart down a bit and help get the breathing under control but I still feel really anxious.

Not sure what to do?

Comments

• Options
    I'm still awake since yesterday, every time I lay down on my bed my breathing got faster and I started to have a panic attack. I'm calming myself down with cat cuddles and knitting.
  • Options
    is there anything else you can take. Have you still got a valium?

chamomile tea? Remember, nothings going to happen, youre inside, youre safe, you dont have to go anywhere. Put a blanket round you and remember the panic always goes away eventually

hugs xx
  • Options
    It's best to do something that will help take your mind off it, I get bad anxiety and have these racing anxious thoughts all day but try to keep my mind active. Also with your breath, lay down and put some calm music on and practice some abdominal breathing, in through your nose and out though your mouth. Nice long slow breaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaphragmatic_breathing#A_sample_exercise
  • Options
    Identify 10 things in the room and start to study them individually - the size/shape/colour/purpose etc. That technique is often helpful!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Last night wasn't so bad.

I do still have some valium but I don't like taking them as they weren't prescribed but maybe this is the sort of situation they are good for.

I will try that other technique Miss Riot and wrap myself in a blanket and drink chamomile tea.

I'm seeing the doctor on Thursday so I'll speak to her then.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    It's best to do something that will help take your mind off it, I get bad anxiety and have these racing anxious thoughts all day but try to keep my mind active. Also with your breath, lay down and put some calm music on and practice some abdominal breathing, in through your nose and out though your mouth. Nice long slow breaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaphragmatic_breathing#A_sample_exercise
  • Options
    When I was very anxious, my counsellor suggested self-talk and basic cbt stuff. She reckoned that you have to learn to spot the anxious thoughts, and think about how true they are/aren't. do your thoughts match what you know/can see, or is it just negativity? another thing she suggested was thinking 'what would your best friend say?'

I hope that helps, but everyone's different.
    good luck x
  • Options
    Another thing to try is Mindful Meditation. I'd recommend Jon Kabat-Zinn - Guided Mindfulness Meditation audio CDs. I know people on an anxiety forum have used his stuff and it has helped them out, I'm going to start meditation this weekend.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guided-Mindfulness-Meditation-Jon-Kabat-Zinn/dp/1591793599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327514793&sr=8-1
  • Options
    Hey

Two helpful posts from Makato and HungryAngry.

There was a recent Guardian article on 'Mindfulness Meditation' that might be of interest to you. Check out the link below for more advice and insight into this form of meditation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jan/22/how-to-meditate-mark-vernon

Cheers
    Phil :thumb:
  • Options
    Phil, that link you added doesn't seem to work?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Makoto wrote: »
    Phil, that link you added doesn't seem to work?

hmmm, worked for me...

Try clicking this
  • Options
    Hmm, weird. It now works. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Mindfulness info. I once did a course in Mindfulness when I was a patient at a day hospital a few years ago but I gradually got worse and then ended up in the acute ward on a section (I don't think the mindfullness was to blame though!)

I am on the waiting list for DBT which has a key skill as Mindfulness so I will learn it again and hopefully get on with it more this time.