Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How much caffiene do you think the average person has?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive slowly come to realise that im tired quite alot of the time; after work etc, and if i go out with my mates im ready to go home at 11, but also that i dont have alot of caffine on a daily basis.

I dont drink coffee and my mum buys decaf tea at home so even though i drink alot it doesnt help. My diet could be healthier in terms of eating more fruit and veg (which i am going to change i.e. buying fruit to snack on at work) but i was just wondering how much caffiene you think the average person has, cos i seem to be alot tireder than everyone around me.

Im just wondering if this is a result of the no caffiene thing, or just normal

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Lexi99,

Tiredness can be the result of many things, caffeine is a stimulant and can make people feel more alert and awake but generally will just mask a tired feeling. How many hours a night do you find that on average you sleep ?

You say that you feel your diet could be healthier this could be another reason you are feeling tired, if you are lacking fruit and vegetables in your diet this could lead to you feeling lethargic, try to slowly bring in some to your diet working towards eventually having your five a day and im sure you will feel a difference !:thumb:.

I hope this has been helpful, please keep on posting and let us know how you are getting on.:).

Take care.
    B:wave:
    Thanks Becky, i will do the fruit and veg thing, guess i just got out of the habit over xmas. Will get some before i start work tomoro.... went to tescos today.... no grapes! highly miffed!
    It depends when you get up and when you go to bed. I'm normally up between six and seven for work so by 9pm I'm shattered and ready for bed. I don't think it's unusual to be tired later in the evening, especially in the winter. People naturally want to be up when it's light and asleep when it's dark, so in the winter months it's natural to be sleepy and tired in the early evening.

Caffeine is an addictive stimulant drug. If you don't use it already you're probably better off not starting to use it. It doesn't stop your body being tired, it just masks and overrides the tired feelings. You can only do that for so long.
    It depends when you get up and when you go to bed. I'm normally up between six and seven for work so by 9pm I'm shattered and ready for bed. I don't think it's unusual to be tired later in the evening, especially in the winter. People naturally want to be up when it's light and asleep when it's dark, so in the winter months it's natural to be sleepy and tired in the early evening.

Caffeine is an addictive stimulant drug. If you don't use it already you're probably better off not starting to use it. It doesn't stop your body being tired, it just masks and overrides the tired feelings. You can only do that for so long.

:yes:

I'm always tired by 9-10pm.

I find it doesn't even mask the tiredness, half the time. I don't drink coffee or tea, but I occasionally like to indulge in some nice, unhealthy energy drinks to keep me going (because I rarely sleep more than 6 hours, but sometimes it gets to the point where I'm on maybe 4 at best). If I have enough, I get temporary hyperness, but otherwise it just keeps me awake rather than stops me feeling tired.
    Oh ok i see the difference now, thanks. Im not going to start being a caffiene addict but may have the odd energy drink if im out late or something, as well as eating more fruit
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Oh ok i see the difference now, thanks. Im not going to start being a caffiene addict but may have the odd energy drink if im out late or something, as well as eating more fruit

Drink water. Loooots of water.

Honestly, it helps more than you'd realise.
    I have pretty much nothing. All I drink that has caffeine is tea and I drink them pretty infrequently (like once a week or so) and I am still fit. If you are tired because after little work I would look for the underlying problem instead of fighting symptoms with caffeine. Either you have some sort of deficiency (iron), or you just need to be more active and sporty.
    Lexi99 wrote: »

I'd say drink water or fruit juice rather than energy drinks.

The sugar-free energy drinks don't work and the sugar-full energy drinks are so bad for you it's not even funny. We were given some samples at work and we reckon that one 500ml bottle of sugar-full energy drink was 35 WeightWatchers points.
    Also, make sure you're getting enough iron in your diet, that's a sure fire way to feel tired.
    Hi Lexi ,:wave:

Its great to hear that you have started to feel a difference !! It can really get you down if you are feeling tired so im sure you are feeling much more positive about things !. Artic Roll's suggestion about drinking water or fruit juice as an alternative to energy drinks is very sensible as most of these drinks i.e red bull, relentless etc contain very high levels of caffeine.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Take Care,
    B:thumb: