Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is It Worth It?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all...

I have been with the NHS "in the system" for about a year now with "minor mental health problems" and self injury. I have been dragged into hospitals by my friends once or twice to be stitched up, once or twice(when they have noticed I'm bleeding). I don't take care of myself, and I really don't give a damn if I die tomorrow.

I'm a selfish, arrogant ba***rd that works in a McDonald's restaurant, barely trying to get myself out of debt, which by the way is caused by my smoking, impulse buying and alcohol abuse. I've had a full assessment from the "Mental Health Team" in my neighborhood and they just passed me on as some sort of drama queen, which I probably am.

I've been looking around for the last year for some sort of service that can help me, as the NHS don't seem to want to know. I'm either too old, or the wrong gender (according to their websites). For the last two years, my girlfriend has been the only reason I am still alive. That novelty is beginning to wear off.

Call me what you will "Emo", "Drama Queen", "Attention Seeker", "Masochistic" trust me I have heard them all before. I'm not trying to kill myself, I'm simply ignoring all of my natural instincts. Oh, sorry if what I write seems a bit hard to understand... I'm not too good at that either.

I'm telling you this because I believe people need some sort of back story if they are to be of any use to me.

Are there any services that will actually help me, or should I just give up now?

This question has a broad spectrum, but so does the help that I would like to receive. The funny thing is, I don't want help for myself, I just don't want to hurt my girlfriend anymore. Whether that be if I no longer exist, or if the NHS/Paid Professionals/Charities will actually help someone that calls out to them... christ knows.

Sorry if this thread breaks any rules.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you've been really brave to be so honest about how you feel about yourself and your situation. Getting NHS help is difficult, and unfortunatly Bristol area charities seems to cater awesomely for women and not so for men. But, if you use the local advice finder you might find something. I had a look with a yateish postcode and I only found national charities that may or may not have a base nearby, but give it a try.

Unfortunatly its always a case of perseverance, going back to your GP several times, etc. Its not often as easy so it should be to get help, but if you keep going you will get some help. It also helps if you are clear about the kind of support you are wanting...

Keep us posted and try and keep your spirits up a little - I'm sure what would be best for everyone is for you to feel better! It might not seem possible right now but its always achievable!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I think you've been really brave to be so honest about how you feel about yourself and your situation. Getting NHS help is difficult, and unfortunatly Bristol area charities seems to cater awesomely for women and not so for men. But, if you use the local advice finder you might find something. I had a look with a yateish postcode and I only found national charities that may or may not have a base nearby, but give it a try.

Unfortunatly its always a case of perseverance, going back to your GP several times, etc. Its not often as easy so it should be to get help, but if you keep going you will get some help. It also helps if you are clear about the kind of support you are wanting...

Keep us posted and try and keep your spirits up a little - I'm sure what would be best for everyone is for you to feel better! It might not seem possible right now but its always achievable!

I'm curious as to what makes men different to women. silly NHS!
    Sevaru wrote: »
    Hello all...

I have been with the NHS "in the system" for about a year now with "minor mental health problems" and self injury. I have been dragged into hospitals by my friends once or twice to be stitched up, once or twice(when they have noticed I'm bleeding). I don't take care of myself, and I really don't give a damn if I die tomorrow.

I'm a selfish, arrogant ba***rd that works in a McDonald's restaurant, barely trying to get myself out of debt, which by the way is caused by my smoking, impulse buying and alcohol abuse. I've had a full assessment from the "Mental Health Team" in my neighborhood and they just passed me on as some sort of drama queen, which I probably am.

I've been looking around for the last year for some sort of service that can help me, as the NHS don't seem to want to know. I'm either too old, or the wrong gender (according to their websites). For the last two years, my girlfriend has been the only reason I am still alive. That novelty is beginning to wear off.

Call me what you will "Emo", "Drama Queen", "Attention Seeker", "Masochistic" trust me I have heard them all before. I'm not trying to kill myself, I'm simply ignoring all of my natural instincts. Oh, sorry if what I write seems a bit hard to understand... I'm not too good at that either.

I'm telling you this because I believe people need some sort of back story if they are to be of any use to me.

Are there any services that will actually help me, or should I just give up now?

This question has a broad spectrum, but so does the help that I would like to receive. The funny thing is, I don't want help for myself, I just don't want to hurt my girlfriend anymore. Whether that be if I no longer exist, or if the NHS/Paid Professionals/Charities will actually help someone that calls out to them... christ knows.

Sorry if this thread breaks any rules.

I wish I knew who could help you because I had a friend just like you but I actually helped him by myself. I hope you find the help you need and I wish you good luck with it! :3 There is help for anything like this as far as I know of though.
    XHelenBX wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what makes men different to women. silly NHS!

Its not the NHS, its charities - they decide their remit!
    Hi Sevaru

Firstly welcome to TheSite. Please do take some time to stick around. You'll fine the posters here are really helpful

A good start looking for services in your area would be to check the local advice finder MissRiot suggested.

For more generic advice and a good starting place you should check out the section on Self Harm here on the site. The link is below.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm

Have you asked your GP about specific services and talked about the difficulties you've been having with NHS services?

Lets us know how you get on with the advice already given.

Phil :thumb:
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Its not the NHS, its charities - they decide their remit!
    In my area NHS provision is different for men and women. For example there is a Women's only Crisis House as an alternative to hospital. Also there is an in-borough secure unit for men whereas if as a woman you need a secure unit you get shipped off to somewhere far away.
    Hello

Hello all,
    Thank you for your replies to the thread. I've tried almost every website on the Local Advice Finder in the past, and have read thesite's self harm pages through a lot - Maybe I just need to be blunt with my GP... But I have a fear that if I tell my GP the -complete- truth I'll either be shipped off, or ignored (or pumped full of meds) which I guess isn't so bad if I'm getting proper help as well...

Does anyone else go to their workplace and consider killing themselves before they start every shift? I'm so sick of this Capitalist society and the fact that I am stuck at the bottom of the chain.

I'm even more sick that because I am only allowed to wear a short sleeved top (Food Handling) I can't cut on my arms anymore. The scars are still there for people to look at me and judge. I've asked to purchase a McD's jumper - which they should provide for free as part of the uniform.